[Imc] IMC News-collective notes for 2/11/01

Sascha Meinrath meinrath at students.uiuc.edu
Mon Feb 12 21:17:06 UTC 2001

IMC News-collective Notes for 02/11/01
Start time: 1:18 p.m.

Attending:  Paul Riismandel, Mike Lehman, Sascha Meinrath, Peter Miller, Jason
Croft, Brent McDonald, Nancy & Russ D-R., James H., Ellen Knutson, Paul
Kotheimer, Gina Langhout, Mark Enslin, Sehvilla Mann.

WEFT UPDATE:  morning shifters are open to drop-ins from IMC.  Could either
have random times (does not need programming committee approval).  Or could
have certain time of the hour to have drop-in (needs programming committee
approval).  Pauline B. is following up with this.

SELF-EVALUATION:  we should take time to look at what we have already done and
critique our media production.  Goal is to create a dynamic set of guidelines
for IMC-produced media.  Jason Croft has offered to help with independent
air-checks (Jason passed out NPR Guidelines for radio production).  Tuesday,
February 13th at 9:30 p.m. at the IMC we will continue the discussion.  ALL
ARE
WELCOME.  We will focus on training and learning, workshop our skills as
producers and reporters, and "gently" critique our work.

LIBRARIAN NEEDS:  how best to organize and design our archive -- please
contact
the librarians (imc-librarians at lists.groogroo.com) with suggestions.  Please
CLEARLY label IMC produced work, or better yet, enter your work in our
database
(http://che.onthejob.net/~bobcook/firstDraft).  Contact the librarians with
any
further questions.  Peter M. will bring in a suggestion list for a starting
point.  Librarians will discuss the proposal at their 5:15 Thursday meeting at
the IMC.  Paul K. will come to the March 1st librarians' meeting.

ASSIGNMENTS:  written on calendar in the IMC.  If you attend an event, please
post synopses/stories on the IMC website.  Discussed beats as important to
keep
media production going or as self-defeating.  News wraps are VERY IMPORTANT --
very small 20-40 second piece of what happened at covered events.  Organized
Champaign School Climate Survey Coverage -- we need people to cover the
Monday,
February 19th release of the data at the Mellon Administrative Building at 7
p.m.  Jason C. is looking for 8-9 minute stories for his show.

Steering Committee liaisons from News Collective:  Mark E., Danielle C., and
Mike L. (at a later date), Paul K., and Sehvilla Mann are interested.  Other
people should let the news-collective know if they are interested.  Decision
will be made on the 25th.

February 18th FACILITATOR:  Mike L.
February 25th FACILITATOR:  Sehvilla M.

Meeting end time:  2:24 p.m.