[Re: [Imc] Re: Sexist ads in C-U]

Suzanne Bishop colorclub at usa.net
Fri Feb 23 17:42:20 UTC 2001

eric lawrence hanzel wrote:

> Don't you have anythign better to worry about? These ads d not
perpetuate
> gender roles. They are merely fashionable icons of the past. More
likely
> to elicite an embarrassed chuckle than your mistaken banter.

Hi Eric - I am a woman and I say that I am offended at the gender bias
and tone of these ads. They ARE sexist. If you could walk in my shoes, a
woman's shoes who has had to deal with and live with this type of sexism
her whole life you would understand why people would complain about the
content of the "Lucky You" ads. As a 6 year old, as my father's car was
being worked on, I stumbled into the mechanics garage to see an ad on a
wall showing very similar content to this "Lucky You" ad and I wondered
about the "servant" woman being shown. And I also wondered and took
within my esteem the sight of women portrayed as sex OBJECTS on almost
all of the "girly" magazines that were being sold and in plain sight at
all of the food stores in the 60's. The "Lucky You" ads have the same
powerful negative effects on young women and girls today. When will our
(women's) view of ourselves be shown in the media? Only when we have
"real" power which we don't have at present. Eric, this ad is only the
tip of the problem - call the Rape Crisis Office at A Woman's Fund,
384-4480 to see if they will let you watch a video called Dreamworld, I
guarentee you will not hold the same opinion after viewing this video.

Sincerely,
Suzanne Bishop