[Imc] CU-IMC Outreach Trip to Springfield

Paul Riismandel p-riism at uiuc.edu
Wed Jan 3 04:16:06 UTC 2001

As discussed at several IMC meetings, I've arranged a trip to Springfield
to meet with the folks out there who are trying to organize their own IMC,
along with a full-power community radio station.  They're a little further
behind us, since Springfield is not a particularly active or activist
community, and those who are active are kind of spread out.  But interest
in community organizing there is on the rise.

The Media Activist Coalition, which is behind the IMC effort, is using our
visit as an tool to get people excited and organized.  It'll be a public
meeting at the main library in Downtown Springfield.

The trip is sort of dual purpose in helping Springfield get together and
also forge a strong alliance between our IMC's so that we can provide a
type of pan-Central-Illinois news coverage that is otherwise completely
missing in both Springfield and Champaign.  Perhaps, then, our two groups
together can provide motivation and guidance to folks in places like
Bloomington-Normal, Decatur and Peoria.

The date and time for the trip is:

>WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 24
>6:30 - 9 pm (though the presentation will begin at 7 pm)
I figure we'd have to leave C-U no later than 4pm.

There will be a TV monitor so we can show the IMC video that premiered at
the Nov. fundraiser.

Anyone is welcome to come along.  I can fit 3 more people in my car, and we
can caravan as many vehicles as are necessary.

Especially it would be good for a few people to be able to speak about some
of the core elements: organizing, covering stories, website/networking,
fundraising.  I suppose it can be a sort of short presentation, and Q&A
session, but we can run it however people feel comfortable.

I'd like to get an idea of who can commit to coming as soon as possible.
Please e-mail me to let me know, and if there's more than my car will fit
we'll have time to arrange extra cars as necessary.

Thanks,

Paul