[Imc] Let's Get With It

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 6 17:21:02 UTC 2001

I just happened to be home, dropping the trailer off and picking up
tools. I see that Sascha has already sent a reminder about the work
party today at the IMC. I should note at this point the rather small
crew that has turned out this week (you know who you are-thanks!) has
made tremendous progress in implementing the articulated desires of the
group in what has already been accomplished.

However, there were a number of folks that seemed to have very strong
and insistent desires that have not been around to assist in
implementing said desires. I know many folks are just getting back to
town, but this is a priority if we hope to open on the 19th.

I think this is a problem for a group such as ours. We can't simply give
orders and expect somebody else to carry them out, without undermining
the collective spirit that is so necessary for groups such as ours to
function effectively. I hope that when I go back to the IMC that there
is a large group of folks that have showed up in the last few minutes
since I've been gone, but I fear there won't be.

Much as I support a consensus-based decision making process, I want to
note here the deficiencies that occur when decisions are made this way
and then those (who are often most insistent about them being done a
certain way) leave it to others to implement said desires. Perhaps we
need to re-evaluate things and come up with a process that gives
priority in the decision-making process to those actually willing to do
the work...

A slightly miffed,
Mike