[Imc] IMC Meeting Notes, 01-01-07

Peter Miller peterm at shout.net
Sun Jan 7 20:34:32 UTC 2001

IMC Notes
01/06/01
at 218 W. Main (The IMC)

Attending:  James Jacobs, Molly Stentz, Mike Lehman, Danielle Chynoweth, Peter Miller, Sascha Meinrath, Sarah Kanouse, Eric Hiltner, Paul Riismandel, Brent McDonald, Sarah Carsey, Russel Dietrich-Riebecki, Nancy Dietrich-Riebecki, Bob Cook, Ed Mandel, Brian Hagy, Zach Miller, Sehvilla Mann.

Molly facilitated.

Updates
Fundraising--Founding Funders top $1200/month; Sascha will scale back his efforts to bring in new ones.  MEETING Monday at 7:30 at IMC to discuss fundraising strategies, including selling stuff.  Business registration with IL is in the works--at least 3 people needed to fill roles.

Danielle suggested that we figure out how we deal with sharing space with other groups.  Maria Silva asked for space, already.  DC suggests that we share space and charge rent.

Equipment--Sarah said that an equipment/furniture drop-off day will take place during the clean-up day, Thursday, Jan. 11, all day.  A sign-up sheet was passed around.

Tech--Paul Riismandel/Bob Cook.  Phones cost $93/month for two lines with Ameritech (at ~500 calls).  McLeod is a little cheaper, but they're non-union and people said their customer service sucks.  Installation is expensive, so we thought we'd wire them ourselves.  Two lines necessary for data/interviews and voice.  Net access--ISDN less attractive than DSL.  We pay per minute with ISDN (as a business user).  $85 - $130/month for DSL.  Also looking at wireless and cable modem.

Decide to get two phone lines from Ameritech.  Networking group will do it.  Molly recommends against multi-year contracts.

Decide on net access next meeting, when we have more info.

Radio Free Urbana--Mike Lehman received an update from Prometheus.  Mike verified that with the legislated changes, we can't have a station in town.  Some are abiding by the ruling, and others are breaking the law, setting up stations in spite of the legislation.  Legally, can have a 10 mW transmitter; maybe can be the first to set up a network of transmitters around town.

Outreach--Paul Riismandel reported on the Springfield trip, Wed. Jan 24. 7-7:30, so we'd need to leave at about 4:30.  Attendees include Alan, Paul, Sascha, and Brian.  Tell Paul if you want to go.

Open House.  Fri., 19Jan, 8 p.m.  Press release, ad, plan for evening, food, invitations to everyone, including Bob McChesney, find a VCR & TV, get a PA system, displays of our work.  Nancy and Russell, Zach, Brent.  Meet to discuss opening on Saturday at 4.

Anti-inaugural ball, too?  Peter presented the idea of combining the opening with an anti-inaugual ball.  People said they didn't want to combine the IMC opening with an 'overly political' act.  Combining events de-emphasizes the IMC. We need to discuss how political the IMC will be.  DC wants it to be an activist resource center.

Decide to have open house on evening of 19th; if anti-inauguration happens, they can use IMC space, but IMC will not lend its name to it.

Florida report:  Danielle, Molly, and Peter went to Florida.  Danielle visited media centers in Gainesville (where U. Florida is) and elsewhere, and reported on the Gainesville Community Media Center (CMC).  10 years old; they're an activist info shop, less a media production center; but CMC activists have gone on to found newspapers, etc.  Danielle discussed logistics with CMC folks.  Security and conflict resolution statement, key policy, financial records, publication list, volunteer staff guide, meeting notes from "boot camp".  Have had $6K salaried position since beginning.  Coordinator had to forfeit salary originally, since low $.  Big punk/anarchist scene; many space users are young.  Recommended to never have couches because they encourage sleeping and hanging-out, rather than activism.  Memberships of $10-$20/year give you rights to take out materials.  Make money from events.  Rent space at $40-$50/month for ~$200/month total.  They get a small desk space in return.  They recommended that we begin a supporter database with details about what type of giving the supporters are willing to do (capital improvements, salaries, etc.).  Board is passive, which is good.  Use a non-consensus decision system. Staffing:  Coordinator, day-coordinators, and shift captains.  DC's ensure days are staffed and fill in when necessary.  Received a grant from Resist.  Don't rely on grants for operating expenses, only for special projects.  Shelving materials are on wheels, so they can convert the spaces.  CMC has clear public and private spaces.  High community visibility is important, so slow events are still necessary.  Newsletter helps funders know that you're still working.  Get into UI pipeline for discarded equipment.  Usage:  50% of checked-out materials are videos.  CMC only pays for 4 or 5 of their dozens of subscriptions.  Layout:  front is public, with a stage; back is private.  Size is smaller than our IMC.  Policies--important to not over-bureaucratize the space, but some policies were necessary.  Very helpful to be able to close and lock the space witout a key.  "Boot camp" is a retreat where large-scale policy decisions take place.

Molly talked about the Stone Soup Collective in Orlando.  Open for about 4 months, in a storefront near downtown.  Run by about 12 volunteers; not enough money for paid coordinator, yet.  Have extensive video library.  Received free subscription from about 40 of 150 organizations they solicited.  Memberships are $10-$50/year.  Some high-rollers have offered more.  Hold shows, concerts, etc.

Librarians
James reported that Bob is working on the web version of the database.  Discussions about classifying donations are underway.  Meeting Thurs, Jan. 11, 5:15 at IMC.  Looking for grants from Fred Schlipf (Urbana Librarian) and Leigh Estabrook (Dean of Grad School of Library and Info Science).  People can drop off periodicals, etc. on Thursday, Jan. 11.

NEWS:
IMC program on Monday, subject is Permaculture:  News to Sehvilla by tonight.  anlyzstrlz at advancenet.net

·       Nursing Home--Mike's working on it.
·       Living Wage--Mike's working on it.
·       IMC Open House--Nancy will write a press release.  Octopus may cover it.
·       GEO retreat on Monday--semester planning.  Possible that union vote will happen this semester.
·       Non-profits meeting--Tuesday, Jan. 9 at 10 a.m. or 6 p.m. at Urbana Civic Center, hosted by city of Urbana.  Unclear what it's about, but we should go to make contacts.
·       Judge ruling on Champaign Schools--Tuesday, Jan. 16.  Will Champaign schools go into receivership?  Much unreported stuff happening behind the scenes.
·       Interfaith Committee meeting--next Wednesday.
·       Green party passes resolution in support of David Johnson, persecuted union member.  Zach will write it up for Monday.
·       Greg Brown murder--He was developmentally disabled; case being referred to Champaign Human Relations Commission.  Danielle will talk to Tony Fabri.
·       Illinois Greens Meet in Urbana--Jan. 27(?)
·       Bonus Pay to Clerk's Office Workers--See News-Gazette, 1/6/01.

2 weeks, discussion about taking news discussions out of main IMC meeting.  Paul R. will facilitate.

Space
HUGE progress!  Space has been built and cleaned.  Need to paint window wall (and pick color), and apply second coat in other places.  Bought windows from the Preservation and Conservation Assoc. (PACA) for $35, and a real newsroom door for ~$80.  Ceiling panels need to be replaced.  Molding abound some interior windows needs to be installed.

People needed to commit to things:  Thursday drop-off (done), and set-up meeting next Saturday at noon.

Sarah will send a wish-list to the IMC list.

Keys--Sascha has them, see last week's notes for the policy.  Possibly put combination lock on the newsroom door.

Next meeting date is 1/14 at the IMC (218 W. Main) at noon, Brent will facilitate.

Meeting concluded at 2:00 p.m.