[Imc] Italian police raid Genoa online journalist collective

John Wason jwason at prairienet.org
Sun Jul 22 08:28:24 UTC 2001

IMCistas:

Here's something a friend of mine found on a web site.  But perhaps you all
already know about it.  Someone can post this on our local web site if you
want to and know how to do it, and include the notice at the bottom.

John

>>Sender: owner-politech at politechbot.com
>>
>>It's unclear what happened, but preliminary reports out of Genoa say that
>>police armed with guns and search warrants raided "the headquarters of the
>>umbrella group behind anti-capitalist riots against the Group of Eight
>>summit" on Saturday evening.
>>
>>That apparently included the Independent Media Center, which was either
>>was a target of the raid or swept up in it (the focus seems to have been
>>on the "Genoa Social Forum," and they may have shared the same building).
>>Often IMC reporters are activists who take part in street actions, though
>>IMC organizers try to discourage this by advising reporters to hide their
>>press pass when that happens.
>>
>>One sketchy AFP report, which alludes to a "brutal" raid:
>>http://asia.dailynews.yahoo.com/headlines/world/afp/article.html?s=asia/he
adlines/0107
22/world/afp/Police_in_brutal_raid_on_G8_protesters__press_centre.html