[Imc] Italia IMC raided by police in bloody attack

Chas. M. Bee c-bee1 at uiuc.edu
Mon Jul 23 19:28:56 UTC 2001

Paul Mueth wrote:

> At 12:12 AM -0500 7/22/01, Paul Riismandel wrote:
> For those of you who might not have had a chance to check the website
> yet, I'll give you the disturbing news:
>
> what's further disturbing is that NPR this sunday didn't mention the
> police violence at all!!!

   It may well now be overshadowed by the 2 G8 protest bombings in major
european cities.  Also, our fire extinguisher thrower turning out to be
not a protester, but a member of a black-masked apolitical anarchist
group called the Black Bloc(k) (sp?), may have taken some of the zing
out of the story.  It wasn't on CNN either.  I am still looking for
reports of peaceful folks with broken limbs, anyone killed in their
sleep, or torture of g8 protestors in Italian jails, but I haven't found
anything yet.  Any links appreciated.

> BBC had an extensive interview with their reporter who was in one of
> the buildings attacked. He said that he knew of no weapons
> confiscated, but that didn't stop Slyvia Podjoli cited the police
> saying that they took out iron bars etc

   Possibly because the police's version is a needed part of the news
item.  I wondered what those long black things I saw several
'protesters' carrying in the CNN videos were - iron bars, that works.
That would be lots better against a cop than a knife, I suppose.  That
and whatever set those cars on fire would seem a pretty nifty arsenal.
That explains the separation of IMC personnel into 2 groups - it would
be necessary for a good search of the building for weapons.  I'm still
wanting to find out if the 10 injured people were IMC folks or field
hospital patients.

> I assume the same contrast will exist between US and UK paper

   Probably.  Now that no one on either side is constrained to truth or
complete journalism, it's getting tough to find the real deal anywhere.
I can't wait to see if Amy G. mentions the Black Bloc(k) today.  Bets,
anyone?  -- CMB