[Imc] Italia IMC raided by police in bloody attack

Chas. M. Bee c-bee1 at uiuc.edu
Tue Jul 24 20:30:09 UTC 2001

Travas Gunnell wrote:

> --- "Chas. M. Bee" <c-bee1 at uiuc.edu> wrote:
>
> >    It may well now be overshadowed by the 2 G8
> > protest bombings in major
> > european cities.
>
> If I recall correctly, only one of those bombings was
> supposedly G8 related, and both were in Italy.  And I
> don't think there's any danger of them overshadowing
> anything.

   Well, CNN said two bombings, and I do recall that at least one of
them was elsewhere (a non-issue).  But, that's CNN.  =)

> >  Also, our fire extinguisher
> > thrower turning out to be
>
> His name is Carlo Giuliani, and he wasn't actually
> throwing anything, as can be seen from these
> photographs:
> http://www.indymedia.org/front.php3?article_id=54779&group=webcast

   The photographs do not show this in any way.  They show that he has
raised the extinguisher to the proper height for a throwing motion,
which could occur as soon as 1/4 second after the photo.  Thus, they
explicity fail to show what you claim - 'the jury is still out'.  Also,
the angle is bad, but it looks like he may have approached closer to the
vehicle than when he picked up the extinguisher.  It's too bad we have
no side view.

> > not a protester, but a member of a black-masked
> > apolitical anarchist
> > group called the Black Bloc(k) (sp?),
>
> You are making a distinction that does not exist, plus
> the Black Bloc is hardly apolitical.  Here is a little
> primer on Black Blocs for you:
> http://www.infoshop.org/blackbloc.html

   All right, randomly political then.  I was quoting CNN again.  I
couldn't find a reference to any specific agenda in the page, other than
anarchist, which to me is incompatible with social justice.
Anti-globalization or any other social justice issues are notably absent.

> > may have taken
> > some of the zing
> > out of the story.
>
> Hmmm, are you implying that his death is somehow less
> significant due to his political affiliation?

   Only to the misled masses, and they are the customers, correct?  Any
successful campaign of persuasion may need to take this into account..?

   As per Paul R.'s request, anyone interested in responding should do
so to c-bee1 at uiuc.edu, and not on this list.  This will be my final post
here on this topic.  -- CMB