[Imc] Re: [UCIMC-print] minors excluded from debut

John Wason jwason at prairienet.org
Thu Jul 26 15:39:33 UTC 2001

At 09:44 AM 07/26/2001 -0500, Sehvilla wrote:

>"Come celebrate the debut of the public i, Urbana-Champaign's newest
>alternative newspaper, at the Highdive, 51 Main St. in downtown
>Champaign"..."Join us for a night of fun and celebration."
>
> Well, I'd love to, but seeing as I'm under 19 I probably CAN'T.
>
>	I know that more people come to events when we hold them at bars,
>but it's ironic that the IMC, which says that it wants participants of all
>ages, is holding the debut for its newspaper (which I wrote a piece for)
>at a place where anyone under 19 can't go. If the IMC is going to claim
>"accessibility" then its events must be open to IMC members of all ages!!!
>It is hurtful and unfair for the IMC to exclude its younger volunteers.
>
>	It may be that something could be worked out with the Highdive
>management where minors would be allowed in. When the IMC held a
>fundraiser last November, I was allowed in as a "performer". Maybe an
>adult (I think they would be taken more seriously than a minor) is willing
>to contact the Highdive management and try to work something out?
>
>	I've been involved with the IMC since September of last year. I'm
>on the steering group committee (from the newsgroup). I'm an IMC reporter.
>I'm an airshifter and a radio producer for the IMC. I co-staff on
>Fridays. I eat the IMC's tofutti cuties and come to IMC events. Besides
>all of that I'm a member.
>	The event ought to include EVERYONE who has a membership and/or
>does work for the IMC.
>
> Sehvilla

Good point, Sehvilla.  I see no reason why you couldn't be one of the
designated speakers between musical performances.  That way you would be a
"performer" and would presumably be allowed in.  I'd love to have you be one
of the speakers on behalf of the public i.

Also, will either of your parents be going to the fundraiser?  I'd think
you'd be allowed in if you were accompanied by one of your parents.  If your
folks aren't going, I think just about any of us "adults" would "adopt" you.  :)

In any event, I think a way can be found to get you into the fundraiser.
Will you be at the imc-print meeting tonight?  If not, I hope someone will
remember to bring this matter up.

By the way, Sehvilla, the papers are now printed, and stacked up in the back
room of  the IMC for your perusal.  :)

John