[Imc] heads up on Octo letter

Paul Mueth pfmueth at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Wed Jun 20 16:17:29 UTC 2001

All.
	This should be in tomorrow's 'pus in hopefuly this form

	The struggle for an alternative to corporate dominated media
goes on. Indymedia centers (IMC), locally, across the nation and the
world are providing an example to those frustrated with the dollar
dominated agenda of commercial media, (and regretably, much public
media) Check out the IMC Newshour at 6PM Mondays on WEFT's
Courier--90.1)
	The story of the takeover of the Pacifica Foundation, whose
stations in the past were models for a journalism confronting the
status quo, has been widely commented on, including, in the past,
with a feature article in the pages of the Octopus.
	Happily, the most recent alert from the Pacifica Campaign has
been of their success in pressuring two of the regressive majority to
resign. (read more at www.pacificacampaign.org)
	Carol Spooner, of The Committee to Remove the Pacifica Board
and litigant in a suit challenging the bylaws change that helped to
pack the foundation board, speculated on Pacifica Berkeley KPFA's own
airwaves, that is possible that several of the "regressive majority"
might already be willing to realign themselves with those aspiring to
return to the original vision of free speech and social justice.
(hear this at www.flashpoints.net)
	Locally, WEFT radio's dealings with Pacifica are tortuous and
defy easy summary.
	But I count myself amongst those at WEFT who feel that as
long as so many are doing so much to restore Pacifica to its mission,
( exemplified best perhaps by Democracy Now's Amy Goodman slogan, The
exception to the rulers!) we would do well to continue our
affiliation. Democracy Now, the best national program from Pacifica,
would be cheap at twice the price. Goodman's stalwartness in the face
of daily adversity is an example to us all.
	The WEFT board meets on the fourth Monday of the month, (the
25th of June is the next) generally on the second floor of the
Mckinley Fdtn and the Programming committee meets the second and
fourth Thursday at the station. 113 N Market, downtown Champaign. You
can write there or to weft at prairienet.org
  More info can be had at savepacifica.net and radio4all.org.