[Imc] heads up on Octo letter

A. Rennick arennick at springnet1.com
Wed Jun 20 18:07:36 UTC 2001

I think the real question here is what is Pacifica's motivation for trying
to ramrod this contract down affiliates throats.  (I assume we're not alone
here).

Pacifica has a win-win situation here.  If affilates drop programming, it
will give them fuel to drop programming (or close stations) due to lack of
listener support.  If they choose to stay with the programming, it binds
affiliates to financial burdons and could help dry up funding for the
campaigns trying to free Pacifica.  At this level, the same support comes
from probably the same pool of citizens.  A very sly concotion of typical
union busting tactics---divide and conquer.

If indeed the contract we now have is enforcable, legal ramifications could
be held against Pacifica if they choose to sever the contract.  However, in
corporate terms, this fight can cost more money than small affiliates could
afford.  The "wait them out" strategy usually works for the bearer of the
most cash.

It might be worth the inquiry in the meantime to check with other affiliates
now offering the PNN alternative "Free Speech Radio"  as WEFT is doing to
see if they are getting the same contract headaches.  Also, check with
affiliates continuing PNN and see if there is any disparity in contract
language.  If only certain affiliates are being targeted, a class action
style of litigation might be more effective.  Power in numbers, share the
burdens.

I may be totally off-base with this paranoid type of thinking, but just
because you're paranoid doesn't mean everyone ISN'T out to get you.

Blue Drew
The Truth is out There!