[Imc] Staff Heads-Up

Molly Stentz molly at clam.clamcenter.org
Tue Mar 27 17:08:33 UTC 2001

Hello all IMC Staff,

I wanted to send out a general advisory to all who staff or work at the
IMC regularly. There is a man who has started to frequent the IMC who
you've probably noticed if you'be been in lately. He is shortish, with
dirty-blond hair in a pony-tail, usually carrying a backback, and is
usually surfing the web on the free computer for hours.

While I'm glad to see the IMC getting use and I don't want to alarm anyone
prematurely, I felt it's best for everyone to be advised. This man may be
psychologically unstable and is known to be agressive. While he has not
been a problem at the IMC, he has been frequenting the Co-op and the IDF,
where he has yelled at, threatened, and harrassed staff members, and
almost attacked a female IDF staff member. He has been ejected by the IDF
staff several times, with police escorts when necessary. He sometimes
refuses to leave. He has personally told me that he was a federal judge
at the Urbana courthouse, that he wanted access to our bank accounts, and
that he was going to shut down the co-op. A week prior he told another
staff member that he was an electrical engineer and attempted to interfere
with an electrician working in the building.

I want all staff to be aware of the situation and be alert, and to also
feel that they can ask him to leave if he begins to cause a problem or
makes the IMC an uncomfortable place, or if a female (or male) staff
member is working alone at night with only him around (which has happened
already).

Pauline, can you pass this along to all the staffers and make sure they've
got the heads up?

Thanks,
-Molly

--