[Imc] Staff Heads-Up

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 27 21:03:03 UTC 2001

I believe that this MAY be the same person that Peter forwarded Mick's
email about some incidents at WEFT also. His name is Doug, AFAIK.

I haven't noticed anything particularly strange personally, although he
does seem to mumble to himself (I not certain there's a narrative going
on or not) when surfing the internet. He told me he was a UI grad
(education gets you somewhere-- I often wonder that myself.) He was also
asking to use the computer at the desk in the front room yesterday; I
told him no.

I feel that in the absence of a definable incident, we should let him go
about his business. However, anyone that has a problem should feel free
to dial 911. I feel that cops are rarely an equitable solution to our
problems, but no one should have to feel threatened at the IMC either.

Anyone who has had any incidents that the rest of us should know about,
please post them to the list. I'm refering to incidents at the IMC
specifically. If you've had other encounters as described elsewhere and
are sure it is Doug, that might be relevant also.

I think we should be careful that we aren't confusing him with or
mistaking him for someone else. I wonder if Mick, or someone else who
was there at WEFT, would be willing to arrange to drop by the IMC when
Doug's there to see whether the WEFT incidents are indeed relevant to
us?

That said, I also have noticed that he does seem to spend quite a bit of
time on the 'net when he is there. And he is at the IMC regularly. He's
been there when I've opened at 4 on Mondays, or shortly there after, the
last few weeks. The IMC shouldn't turn into his home, that's not our
mission, just like it isn't WEFT's.

I do believe that we should post a policy right away above the public
computer, limiting computer usage to 20 minutes at a time if anyone else
is waiting to use the public machine. That way we have some definite
policy. This is not specifically directed at Doug, but at what could be
a problem with whoever uses the IMC, if we don't deal with it. Later
when we have more public computers, we can revisit the issue if need be.
Mike Lehman