[Imc] Re: Think locally !

Paul Kotheimer herringb at prairienet.org
Tue Mar 27 21:42:36 UTC 2001

hi kim and WEFT:

first off, i know that the IMC has speeches and local news items--both in
progress and in our archive-- which could serve to provide some quality
news & issues programming to the Friday Forum slot.

speaking as an audio post-production facilitator at the IMC, i would LOVE
to have the opportunity to help ANYone interested in producing original
progressive news and arts programming for WEFT in our IMC production room.

the IMC has a top-notch Windows-driven digital audio workstation [DAW],
with a Mac-based DAW on the way.  we can read in audio from minidisc, DAT,
VHS tape, and other formats if needed; we can "rip" open CD audio and open
.wav files off of data discs.  we have access to my super-nice R0DE NT2
microphone for pro-quality voiceovers.  etc., etc... so that's an OFFER of
my time and expertise, as well as an INVITATION to bring projects and
programming to WEFT by way of the IMC.

the thing i NEED most of all is to REPRODUCE my knowledge, so that radio
programs can get produced with this technology, by volunteers, under
deadline, WITHOUT me!!  if anyone can help me CO-ORDINATE digital audio
workstation TRAINING, and bring more activist audio-technical energy INTO
the IMC, that would be a DREAM-COME-TRUE.

also, the IMC needs more reporters on-the-beat, BEING citizen-reporters,
conducting interviews, filing eyewitness reports, etc.  text and audio
from such activities can go BOTH to the IMC website
<http://urbana.indymedia.org> and to WEFT 90.1 FM.  the thing to do to get
involved in THAT with us is to come to the IMC News collective meeting,
any and every Sunday at 1:15 PM at the IMC, 218 W. Main Suite 110 in
Urbana.  you can, of course, do it yourself with your own gear, but we're
here if ya need us, and we'd love it if you'd post to our site!

it's easy to get over to the IMC: almost any east-west bus will take you
from the Illinois Terminal, just a block from WEFT, to the county
courthouse in downtown Urbana, just a block from the IMC.

please do contact me, Paul Kotheimer, at the IMC Tuesdays 4-7PM 344-8820,
or via e-mail at herringb at prairienet.org for more info.  thanks, lets work
together, and see ya Sunday (hopefully...)!

community, solidarity, and care,
paulkotheimer:)

On Mon, 26 Mar 2001, Kranich, Kimberlie wrote:

> Dear WEFTies and Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center Volunteers,
>
> Another opportunity to present local programming on WEFT is about to open
> up.  [This might be the perfect opportunity for new WEFTies and seasoned IMC
> producers alike to create and host a one-time-only special or a short
> series].
>
> The Friday Forum (Mondays 6-7pm) will go on hiatus beginning April 16th and
> will not return until the Fall.  The Programming Committee (PC) is charged
> with filling this hour long gap throughout the summer until the Friday Forum
> returns . We welcome and encourage proposals for locally-produced materials.
> Just last winter we had some great locally-produced content thanks to many
> contributors.
>
> Although the Monday 6-7pm slot has traditionally featured public affairs
> programming, the PC will consider all proposals.  Our next meeting is
> Thursday, April 12th at 8pm at WEFT, and the one after that is April 26th.
> If  you would like to submit a proposal for one or more of the open 6-7pm
> slots beginning Monday  -- 4/16 and continuing throughout the summer  --
> please submit the following to me:
>
> Your name, phone, email, description of show you are proposing, how it
> serves WEFT's mission, why the audience would care, and your connection to
> WEFT (for example, are you new, do you host a program, are you with the IMC,
> have you contributed programming material before, etc.).  If you have an
> audio sample of your previous work to submit along with your proposal,
> that's a plus.
>
> Thanks in advance for your good  ideas.
>
> Kimberlie
> WEFT Outside Programming Liaison
> WEFT Associate's elected Programming Committee Member

THE HAND-MADE RECORD LABEL
www.handmaderecords.com

c/o the School for Designing a Society
409 North Race Street