[Imc] Re: [Sdas] thwarting of go-GMOs talk?

John Martirano martiran at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Wed Mar 28 16:09:45 UTC 2001

over monday and tuesday there was a conference at the Union (Environmental
Horizons 2000) at which there were multiple talks on GMOs and VERY few
people questioning the risks or anything that was said.  (One speaker
suggested the populous should not be BURDENED with the knowledge of
GM production and content in their food as they could never really
understand it , the director for the UI center for biotech, bruce chassey?)

The major argument for the necessity of GMOs is to feed the needs of a
growing population (reaching 9 billion sometime this century) so their
major challenge is to raise the level of food production by 50% over the
next 15 years or so.  They see this as feasable yet a challenge.  They
claim that because we've run out of new area to plant crops, that
maximizing existing crops is the only way to meet this need.

****
****
However, they never evaluate alternative wayws to reach these goals/ solve
the problems given the constraints at hand.  In light of the fact that
90% of agricultural land area is devoted to growing animal feed,
a 50% raise in food production could be acheived by lowering the
populaces taste for meat by just 5 or so %.  Even if the producers
claims about the safety of GMs were true, this alternative would be
cheaper and technically possible immediately and contains NO RISK.
Ask any GM producer/scientist if they can guarantee NO RISK.
****

There are many valid criticisms of GMO production but It is important to
evaluate/research your own criticisms before expressing them, as i've heard
MANY MANY unfounded ones.  The result is that the scientific community tunes
into the rediculous criticisms and writes off the lot of activists as
ignorant.

Part of your aim should be to communicate with those scientists/advocates.
You can't really expect a "moratorium" on GMOs (without some major disaster
first). However the activist community allready serves to slow the
introduction of GMOs into the population (meanwhile the producers get
more accurate results and forecasts, laws are passed, public awareness
raised etc).  As well as slowing the producers efforts, the activist
community has the opportunity & potential to guide help guide them.
But to do that you have to understand their justifications and your
own criticisms.

im not trying to discourage the theatrical/artistic
side that is so inspirational, just trying to
evaluate how to improve communication...

john martirano