[Imc] Tim and Laura Arrest

Bob Cook bobcook at onthejob.net
Wed May 2 17:08:10 UTC 2001

Hi All,

I've been doing some searching around on the web. I found this:

720 ILCS 5/31-1(a) provides that a person commits resisting or
obstructing a peace officer if she "knowingly resists or obstructs
the performance by one known to the person to be a peace officer
or correctional institutional employee of any authorized act within
his official capacity. . . ." Under Illinois law, an act of physical
resistence is required to commit resisting or obstructing an officer;
"[r]efraining from physical action or failing to cooperate with the
police is generally not considered the same as resisting or obstructing
an officer."

So, if they were charged with "obstructing a police officer" the charge
may be bogus?

-Bob

--
* Bob Cook              On The Job Consulting *