[Imc] Re: [Prairiegreens] 2 arrested for peaceably observing anarrest - hearing today!

Cope Cumpston cumpston at uiuc.edu
Thu May 3 12:23:32 UTC 2001

I'll be following this and will be involved as a member of the Urbana Human
Relations Commission. In January Myrna Golden, another commissioner, and I met
with Chief Adair to talk over general community concerns about racial profiling
and use of the dept. dog. At the urging of the HRC the Urbana police instituted
a system of recording all police stops so that we could begin to compile data
to respond to community concerns.

Today and tomorrow I'll be at the state-wide Human Relations Commission meeting
in Matteson and will do some scouting around about other communities that have
worked on citizen review boards.

Cleveland Jefferson has been pushing this idea for quite a while; the only
overt resistance I've heard was from Bill Becker, who is no longer in the
picture as Champaign Police Chief.

Cope Cumpston