[Imc] Event at Civic Media Center

jacobs jacobs at students.uiuc.edu
Mon May 14 13:26:31 UTC 2001

Hi All,

Here's an worthwhile event at the Civic Media Center in Gainesville for anyone
who's interested. Read on:

James Jacobs

----A Presentation and Discussion on Infoshops
Saturday, May 19th 2-9pm @ the Civic Media Center in Gainesville, FL

The Civic Media Center and Library, Inc. has been an important part of the
activist community in Gainesville now for almost eight years. We have a large
library and have hosted hundreds of events -- political lectures, discussions,
videos, meetings, conferences, music and art shows, and poetry jams. Our
success as a community supported project has inspired activists around Florida
to plan and start infoshops of their own.

To facilitate these efforts, The CMC is offering an evening of talks and
discussions for people involved in infoshops or interested in starting one.

CMC volunteers, Board members and the Coordinator will describe various
aspects of CMC operations, followed by specific questions and general
discussion. Some of the topics the CMC will cover is Founding an infoshop;
Long-range work; Fundraising; Finances & Treasury; Memberships; public library
connection; Collections; Database; Organizational Structure; Events and
fundraising events; Staffing and Volunteering; Family Atmosphere/ Community
Space; Relations with mainstream institutions; and more! One important topic
will be the possible formation of an infoshop mutual aid network to help us
all reach our goals by sharing resources, knowledge, experience, materials,
etc.

The event is planned for Saturday, May 19th from 2 to 9 pm at the Civic Media
Center, 1021 W. University Avenue, Gainesville. Call Rob at the CMC
(352/373-0010) or email us at civic_media_center at hotmail.com for more
information.

We will supply food and housing. Please let us know ahead of time if you will
be attending so we can better prepare. There's a chance that we will ask for a
small fee from participants to help pay for food.

Thank you. Hope to see you there.

Solidarity,
Rob Augman, Coordinator
Civic Media Center
1021 W. University Ave.
Gainesville, FL 32601 U$A
civic_media_center at hotmail.com
(352)373-0010

James R. Jacobs
Graduate Reference Assistant
Education/Social Science Library
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Home: 303B1 Paddock Drive
Savoy, IL 61874
(217)359-9283
jacobs at uiuc.edu
   (\
  {|||8-
   (/

"Librarians, Dusty, possess a vast store of politeness.
These are people who get asked regularly the dumbest
questions on God's green earth. These people tolerate
every kind of crank and eccentric and mouth-breather
there is."
--Garrison Keillor, "Lives of the Cowboys"
"But to live outside the law you must be honest." R.Zimmerman
"Reading makes a full man, meditation a profound man, discourse
a clear man."
--Benjamin Franklin