[Imc] Some concerns

Ellen Knutson eknutson at uiuc.edu
Fri May 18 04:07:15 UTC 2001

A few things have come up in last few weeks during my staffing shift that
merit the attention of the whole IMC and perhaps discussion at the steering
group meeting. By in large I can say that my concerns/questions revolve
around use of the space/equipment.

I know as a steering group we haven't approved a policy about equipment
usage (who can check out a minidisk recorder for instance) although I
understand that one had been discussed in a focus group. As a staffer, I
have been asked about checking out equipment and just used my best
judgement and powers of observation (I had seen the check out form on the
door of the equipment cabinet). I assume that is what other people do as
well. Today however using best judgement seemed to fail. I opened the space
at 4pm (more about that later) and between 5 and 6 Cope came in to pick up
the minidisk recorder, which she had reserved (on the equipment check out
form), only it was not in the cabinet. I had not checked it out to anyone,
and there was no name on the list saying who might have it.

What I can only assume happened is that someone else used their best
judgement and took the equipment not knowing there was a check out form or
that the equipment might be reserved by someone else. I imagine that this
will only become more of an issue as more people want to use IMC equipment.

Going along with this, is the use of equipment in the production room.  I
don't question anyone going in to use it while I'm on staff, so I can
imagine that no other staffer questions it either. Essentially, I think
this means anyone can use it. If that is the case, I think we need to be
explicit about it, or alternatively be explicit about who can use it.

One final thing, today when I came in, the front door was unlocked but no
one was there. I don't how long it remained unlocked. Sarah Kanouse
mentioned to me that she had been in earlier in the day and had rechecked
the door several times on leaving to be sure it was locked. I thought I
would just gives the reminder that if you are the last one out be sure to
lock the door behind you.

I worry that while any of the things taken alone, are not much of an issue,
that together they might be forming a pattern that we should be aware of.
I'm less articulate over email, but am willing to talk more fully about my
concerns with anyone individually and during the steering group meeting.

--Ellen