[Imc] steering notes 5/20

Sarah Kanouse skanouse at eudoramail.com
Sun May 20 18:11:32 UTC 2001

Steering Group Notes
May 20, 2001
12:00 pm IMC

Attending: Paul Riismandel (facilitating), Sarah Kanouse (notetaker), James Jacobs, Mike Lehman, Ellen Knutson, Sascha Meinrath, Mike Brunnell, Brian Hagy

I.  Working Group Reports:

A. Special:
Farmer's Market Outreach: James spoke to 10-12 people yesterday and got a good response; has
suggestions for Outreach Group to make an "Outreach Kit" for events.
Netta Gillespie is looking for a t-shirt designinger for meadowbrook park

Staff Training: yesterday, very successful--about 25 people, got 5 new members.  Will have quarterly staff potlucks

B. Space:
Last meeting : Wednesday, May 16th
IMC now owns a fan for the production room, which will be installed in the next 1-2 weeks.  Mike is contacting the city re: installing a ramp.  Fridge leads are difficult;  Mike will check resale stores in the next week;  estimated cost for a good new fridge is $200-$300.

Sarah is working on getting more events at the IMC and has the goal of having an event each evening at the IMC by the end of December.  Ideas include IMC film series, a Study Circles film series, classes, discussion groups and lecture series.  Please sign up on the imc-events list on the website to join in the discussion.

Sascha is working on a proposal to charge a sliding scale donation at the door for IMC sponsored event and give 25%  to the organizers and techies, with the rest going to the IMC.  Consensus was reached in this meeting;  a formal proposal will be written up for next meeting.

C. Libarians:
Last meeting, Thursday, May 17th
Four new librarians are in the group;  they are working on improving coordination and communication within the group.  Maiko has shelves for the library that will come over here this week.  Top priority is improving organization of the periodicals so that the magazine shelf only has newest issues.

D. Outreach: Last meeting: Sunday, May 20, 2001 Edited Cope's new flyer and will reproduce.  Cope is working on templates for flyers.  Discussion of syndication so that we can get WEFT $$ as syndicator/distributor--it will be very difficult, as we will need to get on several stations and actively distribute our programs.

E. Tech:
Major projects are cleaning out computers in back room and wiring.  Tech does not want IMC to take donations of computers under 200 mhz.  Discuss independent/progressive filmfest as fundraiser for tech, coordinated with Jason Pankoke of microfilm and borrowed video projector from That's Rentertainment.

F. Finance:
Down to $1400/mo due to some Founding Funders finishing their commitments.  We need new Founding Funders--a story will be put on the front page soliciting donations.

Do people need more information about finances?  Only time more information is necessary is when a group is proposing making a substantial unbudgeted purchase.  Working groups should coordinate more closely with finance when they are making proposals and have a written/diagrammed budget sheet.

E. News:  no spokes this week

Old Business
A. Open Publishing:
unable to connect with global IMC so no report

B. Personnel:
Mike spoke with Molly last week about the way personnel problems were handled.  Mike will codify our open approach to dealing with personnel problems, encouraging staff to approach steering committee and make a series of "tips" for dealing with problems.    Mike will write up a policy statement for next meeting.

New Business
A. Tech Priorities
In addition to the current project, looking into equipment needs, including video camera and file server.  How much space left on Zach's computer?  Paul will investigate.  What about selling products on-line?  It's possible with PayPal, but we will need a consistency we haven't yet achieved.  Make sure audio is archived on-line:  News Group get recording to Paul R.

B. Equipment Check-out Discussion
There are problems with equipment check-out and reservation.  Paul Kotheimer will release a more complete and formalized member check-out procedure.

Only members can check-out equipment.  Asking to see a membership card, checking the membership notebook or database are all ways to confirm membership.  Focus groups should actively recruit for memberships.

What are legitimate uses for IMC equipment?  Should members be able to check-out IMC equipment for personal projects?  What is the training procedure?  How do we know who has been trained?  How can the procedure to be part of our organizational structure?   Will an equipment check-out procedure include Sergei?

Proposal: Ask Paul Kotheimer to create an equipment checkout procedure and set of policies.  Comment over email and bring to the Steering Group in two weeks for adoption.  Paul Riismandel will float questions to list and Paul to consider in drafting a procedure, including ways to subsume equipment checkout into a working group.  Proposal passed.

C. De-formed (re)Frozen Food
Ellen will bring old frozen food to Performer's Workshop next Friday.  We will look into getting a chest freezer for faux ice cream.