[Imc] Whirl-Mart THIS SUNDAY (fwd)

Paul Kotheimer herringb at prairienet.org
Thu May 31 00:51:05 UTC 2001

Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 03:48:54 -0000
From: breathing planet <breathingplanet at hotmail.com>
To: andrewl77 at hotmail.com, annapauline at hotmail.com, jasonmartin1234 at hotmail.com,
     dave at ratical.org, davidhotpants at yahoo.com, ehirshorn at mail.colgate.edu,
     gelslynn at hotmail.com, glasky at mail.colgate.edu, herringb at prairienet.org,
     iearcom-l at lists.rpi.edu, earthsurfing at yahoo.com, lgoodwin at metroland.net,
     lynnfam at aol.com, Peter.Tsaffaras at ogs.state.ny.us, pierce at indymedia.org,
     seeman_joe at yahoo.com, tronic_media at yahoo.com
Subject: Whirl-Mart THIS SUNDAY

Hello friends...

This is a message to remind you that there will be a Whirl-Mart
action-performance this Sunday June 3, 2001 at Wal-Mart in Latham Farms.
You are invited to take part in the silent ritual.  There is no real
estimate on length, but people should begin to show up around 12 noon.
There is not meeting point or anything like that.....  just grab a cart and
begin to anti-shop.....   Whirl-Mart will activate itself as people group
together throughout the store and form single-file lines.

want more info....read on.
if not perhaps, we shall see you there.

What is Whirl-mart?
Whirl-Mart is an anti-shopping spectacle during which a local
breathingplanet troupe gathers and silently pushes empty shopping carts
through the aisles of a local superstore.
Why Whirl-Mart?
Whirl-Mart was conceived as a way to poetically and peacefully state our
collective disrespect for the capitalist world order and to display our
opposition to the values of competition, domination, and exploitation
imposed upon us by consumer culture.
Why Wal-Mart?
This art/action is not meant to be an attack specifically on the Wal-Mart
Corporation.  Rather, breathingplanet.net has chosen the superstore because
it is symbolic both of the religious faith modern humans invest in material
consumption, and of the seemingly inescapable corporate superstucture in
which we live.
Religion?
Unlike most protests, Whirl-Mart is silent and ritualistic.  It may not even
be perceived as a protest at all.  In the religion of consumerism, the
superstore is the cathedral, the shoppers are the congregation, and the
products are icons of desire.  Our anti-shopping ceremony is intended to
emphasize this reality.