[Imc] RE: [infoshops] cincy collective

jacobs jacobs at students.uiuc.edu
Sun Nov 25 01:38:52 UTC 2001

Greetings Aaron from Urbana-Champaign, IL!  We've gone through the 501c(3)
process, and as far as I know, we're the first and only IMC that has done it.
While the other IMCs seem to operate fairly well without non-profit status, we
have started to get requests from others to be "sponsors" because of our
non-profit status. Seems like grant-giving organizations like to see that we
are "official". As I am not directly involved with grant-writing, I am
forwarding your message to the U-C IMC listserv (imc at urbana.indymedia.org) and
maybe others could offer more specific advice on non-profit status. Hey
Imcstas, anyone want to take a stab at explaining our membership structure?

As for publishing houses, what we've mostly done is write letters to
publishers asking for free subscriptions and such. So far, we've received
Adbusters, EarthFirst, Utne Reader, Dollars and Sense, and several other left
leaning journals for free. Some of our members have changed their mailing
addresses on subscriptions to be delivered directly to the IMC also. Books are
a little harder to get deals for. Seems that the more radical the publisher,
the smaller they are, the more they have to struggle to make ends meet, the
less likely they are to be able to give deals. A couple that you might want to
look into are:

Arise Bookstore
http://www.arisebookstore.org/

AKPress
http://www.akpress.org/

and the infoshop.org website for lots of alternative information. I guess
that's about it for now. If you have other questions, you could post to the
U-C IMC listserv (imc at urbana.indymedia.org).

Good luck with the infoshop!

in solidarity,

James Jacobs