[Imc] Re: [Imc]fly the flag article

pfmueth pfmueth at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Thu Oct 4 19:34:56 UTC 2001

>===== Original Message From editor at 8am.com =====
>I just came back from a four-day tour of NYC.
>
>Flags are displayed quite promiscuously throughout Manhattan.
>
>Rather than there being any sense of ire or angry retribution in the air,
>the sense is one of sorrow and comradeship.  It is the first time that I
>have seen this single symbol, the flag, used in such a unifying and
>positive way.  I could harbor no resistance to it.  Believe me, this was a
>first for me.
>
>Subways, like most corners of this tight little island, are too crowded and
>too diverse ethnically for anger to thrive comfortably.  Gentler emotions,
>helpfulness, hugs, tears and prayers are much more in evidence.
>
>It is a remarkable thing.  It seems petty to be bickering about the flag,
>saber rattling, and counter-saber rattling here in the heartland when in
>the epicenter of ground zero, the tone seems to be set by the peace
>imagination of the likes of John Lennon, for example.
>
>I don't think I imagined it.

Greg Springer

Greg,
It was probably true for the circles you travelled in, Rush Limbaugh doesn't
take the subway. The circles I visited in DC were quite pacific as well.
But I know they weren't representative. One heard of the plight of the woman
from Honduras whose social activist group was just labelled "terrorist", how
Chiapas was remilitarized, disposing of the interim stalemate, a sort of peace
that had been prevailing, and how the Colombian military has recouched all
their language of war into the latest fashion. .  we must crush the
narcoterrorists.