[Imc] Spam Attack On The Website: A Suggestion

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 8 04:33:08 UTC 2001

I regret to inform everyone that we seem to have hit a nerve somewhere.
It could be simply chalked up to Bobby Meade's revenge, but it's far too
sophisticated for someone as seemingly out of touch with reality as his
posts indicate. Perhaps the slogan "Coincidence or COINTELPRO" is a bit
speculative. Whether the government is involved or just some right-wing
assholes, it doesn't much matter (I have suspects, but no proof-can I
play W? ;>)

I would suggest that we consider putting the IMC website on moderated
status for a short period so that whoever is up to this crap gets tired
of checking back. I don't know how difficult this would be technically
and I very much regret having to suggest it, but with the beginning of
the war, it might take a while for things to settle down.

I have sent a note about the questionable posts that have appeared to
Zach and Paul R., but it might be shoveling water for them to try to
keep up, which is why I am recommending the moderated status as being
less of a pain in the ass. I can point out the posts involved, simply
from having seen most of it before on global IMC. These people haven't
been posting here before, and may not actually be the ones doing the
dirty work.

I would be willing to help post stuff myself, if it's not too
challenging for an old fart like me, if we go to moderated status.

Comments and suggestions are welcome. It is a problem with no easy
solution, but it does need to be dealt with. We ignore it at the risk of
our credibility. The time we are in is too critical to simply let this
go.
Mike Lehman