[Imc] upcoming indy media gathering

Brian Hagy bhagy at onthejob.net
Sun Oct 14 20:21:04 UTC 2001

Howdy folks.

This is the last call for registering for the IMC/grassroots media
gathering to take place this coming weekend (Friday, October 19-Sunday,
October 21) at the Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center in Urbana,
Illinois.  If you've already registered, ignore the request to
register.  If you haven't registered and plan on attending, please do so
no later than Monday, October 15th.  Please indicate if you need housing
(which can be provided by Urbana-Champaign residents).  For those of you
who have registered, we will be sending out complete info (such as travel
directions, things you need to bring, etc.) on Tuesday, October 16th,
via email.  If you need it sent another way, contact us no later than
tomorrow (monday, october 15).  you can email me at bhagy at onthejob.net.
If you register after Monday, we can't guarantee you will be on the
mailing list to receive this information, though we will do everything we
can to get it to you, and providing housing will be more difficult
(especially if you don't live in the Urbana area).

To register, go to:  http://che.onthejob.net/~sascha/imcregistration.html,
or click on the link on our homepage at http://urbana.indymedia.org.

A bit more clarity about the gathering:

We will be offering dinners and breakfasts.  Lunch, you're on your own.
The registration fee of $50 is to cover the costs of these meals, so if
you can pay the full amount (or any amount) that helps us out a lot.

Friday nite will focus on hands-on workshops featuring using equipment
such as minidisc, video cameras, digital cameras, and so forth, as well as
interviewing techniques and using the internet (posting to it, researching
from it, etc.).  Also, from these hands-on workshops will arise production
workshops throughout the weekend.  These production workshops will focus
on creating actual media presentations for the Urbana-Champaign IMC News
Hour (presented on the local community radio station on Monday nites), the
Free Speech TV Network, the Public I (the Urbana-Champaing IMC newspaper),
and the IMC websites.

Saturday will focus on discussion about problems and solutions for
IMC/grassroot medias.  The morning will emphasize developing IMC/grassroot
media within their respective communities.  The afternoon will emphasize
networking the IMC/grassroot medias (this is critical now given the
political atmosphere toward non-mainstream activities).

Sunday will wrap up all production work and finish any discussions left
open.

If you have any video/audio/digital photography equipment, feel free to
bring it, as it can be used most likely.

Thanks, and I look forward to seeing many of you this weekend.

Brian Hagy
U-CIMC outreach spokesperson