[Imc] Dissertation reminder.

Sascha Meinrath meinrath at uiuc.edu
Fri Sep 7 03:57:04 UTC 2001

Hello fellow IMC-istas:

It's been several months since I last mentioned that I plan to do my
dissertation about the IMC and I thought that given how many new people
have joined, I should make the announcement again.  If you have any
questions feel free to e-mail me (please do not just respond to the entire
group).

As a graduate student in social-ecological psychology, I have been studying
how communities can empower themselves to fight for social justice.  In
school, my focus has been on affecting institutional change through the
field of Community Psychology.  As a community activist, I've been engaged
in these fights myself.

When we first started talking about the idea of founding what became the
Urbana-Champaign IMC, I began looking for ways to merge these two parallel
roles.  During the Fall of 2000, I brought up this idea with the IMC
organizing collective and was given the green light.  I also talked with my
faculty advisor and was given the go-ahead.

I plan to write about how the IMC, as an organization, is an empowering
structure, the ways in which the IMC has impacted our local community, and
the effect the IMC has had locally, regionally, nationally, etc.

Once again, if you have any questions, let me know,

--Sascha Meinrath