[Imc] Sanctuary followup

Clint Popetz cpopetz at cpopetz.com
Wed Sep 12 21:41:42 UTC 2001

Following up on last night's meeting at the imc, I tried contacting
Jim Holiman regarding helping to establish sanctuaries against the
possible (well, with today's headlines it's already a reality)
backlash against Muslims and others of Arabic descent.  I haven't
heard back from Jim yet; I'll try to reach him again tonight.  (Does
anyone knows of another representative of CUECOS?)

I also contacted the university counseling center, but they knew of
no efforts by the university to provide safe-houses.  Someone at the
meeting knew of such an effort, so if anyone has further information
on that, please followup up with me.

To get the ball rolling on our end, I'd like anyone interesting in
helping, either by offering your residence as a place of sanctuary or
by helping to coordinate things, to email me their name/phone/address
(or whatever combination of the above you are comfortable giving out.)
Please put the word "sanctuary" somewhere in the subject of your
message, to make my life easier.  I'll collate the list and work with
others to find the best distribution mechanism.  Suggestions in this
regard are welcome.  I've also contacted the Muslim Student
Association and CIMIC, and I am awaiting their response.  If there are
other groups that might be forming a sanctuary network, please let me
know.

Hopefully all of this will not be needed, but better safe than sorry.
Regardless, having a network such as this in place is definitely an
asset to the community, and I'd be happy to help maintain it going
forward.

			-Clint