[Imc] URGENT ENVIRO MATTER ON THE ARCTIC!

mvillega mvillega at students.uiuc.edu
Fri Sep 21 16:30:13 UTC 2001

If you're interested at all in Protecting the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge,
here's a heads up on something that can be done, but it has to be done soon,
between now and early Tuesday morning. I went to an Environmental Training
over the summer for a group called Free The Planet, and this is the
information that I received this morning from Washington:

URGENT: IMMEDIATE ACTION NEEDED TO PROTECT THE ARCTIC WILDLIFE REFUGE

We need your help; word just reached the DC environmental community that Sen.
Inhofe (OK) filed an amendment on Thursday to the Defense Department budget
bill, which is being heard on the Senate floor from tomorrow thru Tuesday.
The amendment contains the ENTIRE BAD ENERGY BILL, including Arctic drilling,
subsidies for oil and nuclear, etc. This is very bad, considering that right
now there's a lot of pressure to quickly pass the defense budget.

We have 4-5 senators ready to filibuster this amendment, but we need to make
sure to solidify all of our supporters quickly.  We're looking for students
to generate good, quality, detailed, heartfelt letters to their Senators
between now and Tuesday morning about why we need to protect the Arctic and
have a clean, sustainable energy policy.

We know this is short notice, but this is extremely important - if Inhofe
pushes forward and we end up having to filibuster, the Senators will need
hours worth of quality stuff to say about the Arctic, and might even read
some of the best letters on the floor.  And it's important that these
letters be individual and sincere.  Quality is the key here – we won’t have
time to generate a large quantity of letters, so a dozen or so good,
handwritten letters from each state will give our allies in the Senate the
fuel they need to stop this from going through.

You are in a great position to turn out some quality, handwritten letters and
ensure that this sneaky attempt to push the National Energy Policy through
without significant discussion is thwarted.  Please, write a letter yourself
about why the Arctic Refuges NEEDS to be protected and the county must move
towards a long-term, sustainable energy plan.  If possible, spread the word to
other activists on your campus and have them write letters as well.

Fax these letters to the FTP! Office in DC and we will pass them along to
our champions in the Senate.  Take the time to write them today and send
them ASAP.

FTP! Fax number: 202-546-2461

Something needs to be done. Please spread the word, write your senator, if you
don't know who that is, look them up, and find a fax machine or express mail.
It's really quite easy, and the more voices that are heard the better the
outcome can be if you are with the protection of the Arctic National Wildlife
Refuge.