[Imc] Print Group Minutes, 23 Sep 2001

Michael Feltes mfeltes at NewMail.Net
Mon Sep 24 01:27:17 UTC 2001

IMC Print Group Meeting, 3:00 PM, 23 Sep 2001

Meeting facilitated by Aaron Kunzman
Minutes taken by Michael Feltes

Present:  John Wason, Paul Mueth, Belden Fields, David
Young, Shelly Sarazen, Aaron Kunzman, Michael Walcher,
Pauline Bartolome, Michael Feltes

Aaron:  meeting to collect stories into the pool

John Wason: concept of issue - 2 pgs. non-WTC, 6 pgs.
WTC, divided into local, national, and international
commentary

THE POOL

Local Stories:

Bellflower Dairy - Sehvilla (1,173 words)
Matt Hale articles:
 Darrin - perspective from inside
 Robert D. - perspective from outside
 (1,300 words combined)
 Aaron (800 words)
Mike Lehman - followup to nuke train (250)

WTC:  Local Perspective

Belden - feature with human rights emphasis (2200)
John - Intro to Progressive Discussion of the WTC (600)

Rob McChesney Interview (1200)
Mike Lehman - Perspective on CNN coverage of Palestinians
(370)

Community Forum:
 Meditiation on the Twin Towers as buildings,  David
Springer (540)
 What Happens When America Goes To War, Sarah Kanouse
(1186)
 Not In Our Son's Name - Rodriguez Family of NYC Opposes
War, 2 letters (200 each)
 We're All In This Together - Youth From Mahomet Interview
Muslims
 Twin Towers of Illusion, Darrin Drda (754)

WTC:  National Perspective

Statement of Barbara Lee on the Floor of the House (531)

Sam Smith, The Reaction (1212)
Howard Zinn, Violence Doesn't Work (846)
Bill Thompson, Combatting Terror (1014)
Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting, March to War (1683)

Scott Weber, Refutation of Equation Between Terrorists
and Protestors (800)
 - intended to rebut letter from Objectivists in DI,
possibly framed as such with short intro

WTC: International Perspective

Statement by Revolutionary Afghan Women (580)
New Holy War Against Evil: A Buddhist Perspective (2300)

 - Belden: Possible to abridge this article?
 - John: Disliked abridgement

8 OR 12 PAGES?

Must-have articles:

Barbara Lee                                 - 6200 words,

Belden                                            ~5
pages
McChesney
John Wason's Intro
Sarah Kanouse*
Darrin*
Afghan Women

*originally letters, decided to present as articles

Bellflower                        - 2750 words, ~2 pages

Matt Hale
Nuke Train

Letters:
 Russ Springer
 Not In Our Son's Name

Newspoetry will help fill out pages

Priority Articles After Must-Haves:

Sam Smith
Howard Zinn
Bill Thompson

Decided to ask Darrin to lay these articles out for a
12 page paper.  John will talk to Darrin.

Restructuring of Public I

 - concerns about dwindling editorial staff
 - loss of government editor
     - Belden: subsume government into human  rights
section?
 - bringing in McChesney and his students, other radical
teachers at the U of I to help?
 - Aaron suggests postponing discussion to next week
when greater numbers can take part in the discussion
(so come and bring your ideas to pump up the Public I!)

meeting adjourns