[Imc] News Group Minutes, 23 Sep 2001

patton paul ppatton at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Mon Sep 24 00:46:25 UTC 2001

On Sun, 23 Sep 2001, Michael Feltes wrote:

> IMC News Group Minutes, 1:00 PM, Sun 23 Sep 2001
>

> Danielle would like to do a piece about voices of Afghani
> women for Newshour week after next.
>  - Mark remembers hearing about a group named Wassa,
> a secret women's org in Afghanistan

The group's name is RAWA.  I found them on the web while trying to find
out more about Afghanistan.  the URL is:

http://rawa.fancymarketing.net/index.html

They support democracy, separation of church and state, and human
rights, including especially women's rights, in Afghanastan.  They work
non-violently to expose the crimes and abuses of the taliban regime.  Just
being a member, in Afghanistan, is punishable by death.  Note especially
that they do take donations.

-Paul Patton