[Imc] Re: [UCIMC-print] IMC Minutes 3/31

John Wason jwason at prairienet.org
Mon Apr 1 07:11:01 UTC 2002

Thank you, Laura.

On Sun, 31 Mar 2002, Laura Stengrim wrote:

> Present:  Liam, John, Laura, Brent, Mike W., Orion
>

> Possible publishing date: After 1st Week in April, at least.  Deadline 4/7?
>

> Sections:
>
> H. Rights-- Al Kagan (1339);
>
> Labor-- GEO meeting/article offered by Ben Scott (1000-1500); living wage;
> fair trade coffee by Meredith Kruse (500+), international workers day on May
> 1st, friends of the 3rd world bio;

I just got a revised (longer) article from Meredith, which I haven't
looked at yet.  She says she has plenty of graphics if we need them.

With regard to GEO, I just got an e-mail from Ben Scott saying that a
draft of his article would be ready by about Tuesday or Wednesday.  Can
anyone tell me definitively if there are photos of the Swanlund takeover
that we can use??

> Arts-- Laura (600?) picture of Sandra's painting
>
> Government-- Liam on 85% Coalition (1533+); visuals (pics of members)
>
> Media-- FCC protests (950+) adding local twist, taken from the DC IMC (w/
> pics)
>
> Environment-- Earth Day - April 21 - SECS article solicited (1000), Michael
> Moore coming to U of I on April 17th; Orion is also formatting Andy's graphic
> article on ecohousing into a text document w/ pictures, poems; Green
> conference (Orion is working on a story for WEFT and Mike will also think
> about it), buildings for NPs as a future article
>
> Community Forum-- nada?  or letter from Brent on funding indymedia (450);
>
> Newspoems-- one has a story w/ it on Muslim discrimination against women; two
> poems total

> Other notes:
>
> *Deadline:  depending on layout, waiting for Darrin (April 10th?) or Paul;
> Brent's copy of Quark is PC, not Mac.

It appears that we have more than the usual amount of graphics this month,
so layout is going to be at least as important as usual.  It looks like
well over 50% of the articles have associated graphics.  Out of respect
for those who submitted stuff to us, among many other reasons, I
personally want as usual for us to put out a quality publication that
everyone can be proud of.  I don't know how to determine if anyone other
than Darrin is really up to the task of laying this thing out.  Does
anyone have any ideas/feedback/opinions?  Paul, have you been practicing
with Quark?  Have you talked to Paul Young or anyone else?

> distibution -- ?? Should we send e-mails out ahead of time? Brent might just
> do that.  John has most of the route lists.
>
> Funding:
>
> Wanted: print spokesperson for steering committee, within the next 3 weeks.
> Maybe we can have a rotation -- Mike W. offered to attend the next several
> steering meetings.

Thank you, Mike!

> Working group structure: needs a spoke in order to be an IMC working group
>
> Outreach: Add the new blue "wanna get involved at the IMC?" flyer/graphic to
> the paper

Also, AWARE is now meeting at the IMC EVERY Sunday evening, no longer at
the campus YMCA.  That info should probably go in that little box where
Darrin puts the upcoming events for the next month at the IMC.

> Orion is selling fundraiser raffle tickets...

And I forgot to buy one.  I KNEW there was something I wanted to talk to
Orion about after the meeting, but I forgot.  Orion, put me down for a
whopping two bucks.  :)

> Topics for next week's meeting:  Organizing distribution, preparing layout,
> final drafts due, ongoing talk about funding, outreach, sponsorship.

So what else is new?  :)

Thanks again, Laura.

John