[Imc] Discussion notes

Rebecca Glaser bglaser at antioch-college.edu
Thu Apr 18 03:12:57 UTC 2002

Hi, we met on Tuesday the 16th to discuss concerns with the IMC and do
things about it....

There: Avram, Ellen, Becca, Mark, David, David, Robert, Brian, Orien,
Naomi, Cope

Talked about various things, not all of which I noted..
so if you want to put more notes out, please do so.

NOTES:

Concerns grouped into three general areas:
CULTURE, COMMUNICATING INFORMATION, uh-oh i don't recall the 3rd.

Setting up a conflict resoluiton system, or a grievance policy-to prevent
people with conflicts from having to leave the IMC

An idea to have a seperate meeting not held at the IMC, in hopes that
people who feel very outcast from the IMC could feel able to attend and
talk

Changing the layout of the space, maybe for better encouragement of
use of the space, when a person first walks in and wonders:what is this
place? A library? A store?
an art gallery? a place to do email? a music place?

Handbook

Staffer does what? how welcoming should the staffer be?

Trainings as Outreach, Free, some discusison on whether trainings are open
to anyone or to members only, mostly the conclusion is that trainings are
free to anyone, with no expectation of doing work for the IMC in order to
get training

Orien would love a gender dialogue, to all the groups

No one has said the IMC is "sexist"

Everyone take note:IMC tends to schedule meetings in opposition to Family,
attendee can do 8-9 pm  meetings, not 6-8

Youth involvement-

I'm here for news, concerned about the focus of the IMC/Music is media

Mission statement? a non-official one, with a 3 prong mission, also
sometimes the Seattle IMC's misison statement is used

Someone would like to have it hanging up.

Brochures, have more?

"I am in awe of what this center has accomplished-it is a leader in the
global network."

Outreach in next 6 months- how SNCC organized- getting communiities to act
in their own interest- This is something for community building, not
justIMC community

Take a vacation/ too much hold over turf/ burnout

Put public i deadlines on the lisserv

 Attempts at Resolution:

	David said he would work on setting up a conflict resolution
protocol
	Becca will create a space for Trainings on the board, trainings
will be listed in the IMC-events list, an dpublicized better

	Becca will make a more clear space for
Comments/Suggestions/Concerns?Proposals on the board (rather than under
the meetings notes)

	David will make signs that tell you where you can check your
email, what the production room is, and how to get keys for it, will make
a place that lets you know how to check out library materials.

	Becca and David spoke about putting together  aIMC handbook. would
like a lot of help with.

	******If you want to see anothe r meeting on your concerns, please
make one, or send your comments for posting at the list or on the board.

	Thanks to everyone who came, and to those who couldn't make it.

	sorry if there are mispellings, my email i s impossible to go back
and correct,

	Maybe the changes will be slow.
	Bye, Becca