[Imc] (Please Read) Semesterly IMC research disclaimer and invitation:

Sascha Meinrath meinrath at ucimc.org
Sat Apr 20 23:39:54 UTC 2002

Hi everyone,

It's been awhile since I last announced that I am indeed in graduate school
and am conducting research about the IMC movement generally and the UCIMC
in particular.  The research paradigm I ascribe to is participatory in
nature and I do not obfuscate any of my work or goals.  Over the next
couple years I will be writing several papers about both the organization
and the work that we do.  I hope that many of you will be willing to read
over and provide feedback on what I write and that my research will remain
a collaborative project at each stage of the process.

Currently I am in the midst of writing a paper integrating community
empowerment and communications theory as a way to critique the rise and
fall of the Underground Press movement in the 1960s & early 70s and
explicate the parallels between the Underground Press movement and
contemporary Indymedia activism and organizing.  If you are interested in
reading over this draft, I'd welcome the feedback -- just let me know.

As always, if anyone has any questions, comments, or concerns, I encourage
you to contact me.

--Sascha

P.S.  There have been several discussions at the UCIMC over the last few
weeks concerning what our mission and scope of the organization is.  As
some of you recall, when we applied for federal non-profit status we had to
answer several questions about what we do. I thought the answers we gave
might help spur further discussion and clarify what our "legal" (though
never explicitly, officially adopted) mission is:

4.      Your By Laws state that membership shall be open to all individuals
and organizations interested in creating independent media and pursuing
social justice goals in keeping with the mission of the Urbana Champaign
Independent Media Center Foundation.

a)      Please describe the "social justice" goals of the Foundation.

The Foundation defines "social justice" as an interactive process whereby
members of a community work to protect the equality and human rights of
all, without regard to race, culture or nationality; sex, sexuality or
gender identification; religious or political belief; social or economic
status; age; physical or mental ability; and other criteria.  We generally
support the principles established in the United Nation's Universal
Declaration of Human Rights.

b)      Please describe the "mission" of the Foundation.

The Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center's mission is to provide the
tools, training, and support for:
         --Production: the creation of news, programs, art and narratives
that may not otherwise be produced.
independently-produced materials and the development of new avenues of
distribution;
         --Education: the development of a forum where individuals can be a
teacher, student and collaborator in their own learning and the education
of their communities.

c)      Describe what criteria you will use in deciding if an individual's
or an organization's views are "in keeping" with the mission of the Foundation.

The Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center Foundation is a venue for
individuals to create media.  We will presume that all individuals and
organizations are in accordance with both our mission and social justice
goals unless they actively advocate restricting the human rights of any
person.

d)      Will you allow individuals or organizations that may share the same
"social justice goals" as the Foundation, but whose proposed solutions are
different, to become members?  Please discuss.

The Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center Foundation is dedicated to
human rights and equality but does not propose solutions, respecting the
rights of all people to determine their own solutions.  Membership is open
to all who respect the human rights of all people.

5)      Will the Foundation encourage, either directly or indirectly, civil
disobedience to attain its "social justice goals"?  If so, please describe
the type and character of the activities you encourage.

The Foundation is a venue for individuals to create their own media and
does not encourage civil disobedience either directly or indirectly.

6)      Will the Foundation encourage, either directly or indirectly,
unlawful acts to achieve its "social justice goals"?  If so, please
describe what specific activities you encourage.

The Foundation is a venue for individuals to create their own media and
does not encourage unlawful acts.