[Imc] another edition of the Public i?

Sandra Ahten spiritofsandra at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 23 19:46:29 UTC 2002

Does anyone have an idea about how to put some fire into the public i?  Does
it start with firing the current editors?

OH my did I get your attention?

Most people I know can't get through an edition of the public i.  I don't
know why it is so f'ing boring... but it is.  It's about as boring as the
meetings are.

When people talk to me about it... they always apologize for what they are
about to say... so they don't hurt my feelings.

I thought it was just me.  But others say zzzzzz too.

BTW... this is not to knock the individual efforts and writing that were in
this last issue or any previous issue.  Individually there was merit there.
But somehow it just does not come together with any kind of dynamic.

Let get this thing rocking and rolling or put it to sleep. I saw that there
were no papers over at Strawberry Fields as of yesterday... and frankly... I
didn't care. Apparently no body else did either.

There are better ways to spend our energy that to put out a paper that even
the choir won't read.  Just one good letter to the editor in the NG would do
more good and take a lot less effort.

So here are some ideas.
The print group provides the mechansim to publish what a group of passionate
people want to print.
ie. SDS groupies
AWARE volunteers
WEFT women
YOGA teachers
ARTIST whose last name begin with W

We do the work... but their group would dictate the content.
-----------------
We let one person or a duo be the editor for an edition.  They get to
recruit all the writers / illustrators for that edition. They get to do
anything they want
------------------
WE GET RID OF THE 7 divisions/ editors as we know them.
-------------------
WE TURN IT INTO a take-off on the ONION
---------------------
We print on demand.  When we get enough articles that enough people really
care about... instead of articles that are forced out by deadlines.
We stop worry about printing our own paper and instead start figuring out
how to get information into peoples hands, hearts and heads.
Anyone who is interested: meet this Thursday (April 25) and next Thursday
(May 2nd) at the IMC at 5pm.  I'll provide something to eat. Can you bring
something too? I'm faciliting.  The meetings will end promptly at 6:30.

Sandra Ahten