[Imc] Political postering info?

Brian Hagy bhagy at urbana.indymedia.org
Mon Aug 12 02:42:06 UTC 2002

Hi, Chas. "mark" bee :),

We use the following guidelines for postering:  all candidates are
welcomed to leave any info regarding their campaign at the imc, including
hanging a poster in our identified section for advertisements.  no
political posters are allowed in the windows (actually, we have a policy
of only imc-related events can have posters in the window...all others
should go on the bulletin board under the advertising section).

we don't actively encourage any candidate to leave information at the imc,
thus we treat all candidates equally.  it just happens that some know
about this resource more than others (or prefer to use it more than
others).  we don't discourage any candidate from leaving info either (even
if we don't agree with the candidate).

of course, the "we" in the above statement is to be understood as anyone
speaking as a member of the imc.  if a person chooses to relinquish that
identity for a moment, and be a "normal joe, or joette," that person can
advocate, or dissuade, for whatever she or he wants to.

i'd recommend for weft to do something similar (speaking as an outsider to
the weft working community, and an insider to the weft listening
community).  political posters should be allowed in a clearly marked area
inside weft (or in a window, if you so choose) that designated for all
community ads, and doesn't necessary reflect the interests of weft as an
organization.  that separation is important (it is how we at the imc deal
with the not-for-profit and politician conflict).

i hope this helps some.

brian