[Imc] Re: Political postering info?

Chas. 'Mark' Bee c-bee1 at uiuc.edu
Mon Aug 12 19:34:12 UTC 2002

Sascha Meinrath wrote:

> hi chas,
>
> non-profit organizations can have candidate information posted in their
> space -- however, they must be equitable in how resources are utilized by
> politicians and the non-profit must itself remain non-partisan.  the UCIMC
> has a public announcement space where _any_ community member can post
> information, adverts, etc.  we do not moderate this posting space and
> candidates are all welcome to post their information.  the only time we
> might remove posters would be if they directly conflict with our mission
> as a social justice and non-discriminatory organization (e.g. hate-speech,
> forwarding a discrimination platform).
>
> basically, "501(c)(3)s must be sure that the activity genuinely promotes
> public education and voter awareness and that it does not tend, directly
> or indirectly, to encourage support for or opposition to any candidate."
>
> see: http://www.afj.org/eadvocacy/section4b.htm for more info.
>
> if WEFT wanted to allow candidates to post information, this is perfectly
> permissable by law, but WEFT would not be able to pick and choose which
> candidates could post their information.
>
> let me know if you have other questions or concerns,
>
> --sascha

   Thanks very much, everybody, for the clarifications.  Perhaps there
might be a way to make the literature table idea work, if it was labeled
explicitly as public space.  As usual, I will have to research and
confer over here; there may be FCC legal ramifications I don't get yet,
for instance, and we are extremely short of floor space, particularly
with the renovation of our "storefront" coming up.  -cmb