[Imc] PLEASE READ: Equipment and Security

Brian Hagy bhagy at urbana.indymedia.org
Fri Feb 8 20:37:57 UTC 2002

thanks for your response, david.  i'll bring it with all the others to the
steering focus group on sunday.

non-profit volunteer organizations in town, in that people are starting to
see the imc as 24-hour accessible, even though we don't have staff here.
perhaps this is not such a bad thing.  however, when equipment ends up
missing it becomes necessary to reconsider the desirability of having that
mentality.  any other space it seems that once they close, they prefer you
not to being in the space using the resources it has.  i realize the focus
of the imc (independent news) makes it desirable to have access to
resources any time it becomes necessary.  and so perhaps we should
continue to encourage people to use the space when there's no
staff, and to have it appear closed when people don't feel safe or
don't feel they can wear two hats.  however, with the upcoming
year's finances starting to become tight, we really do need to figure out
whether the costs of utilities (electricity and such) can be supported
with such an open-ended time limit on equipment usage (especially the
production computers, which do use up a big chunk of the electricity in
the joint).

thanks,
brian