Sehvilla is right (was Re: [Imc] twisted locks, twisted security)

Chas. 'Mark' Bee c-bee1 at uiuc.edu
Tue Feb 12 22:32:27 UTC 2002

   Not that I have any particular standing in the community, but I think
it's past time to speak out, member or no.

   On the several occasions I've had to visit the IMC, I noticed that
there is a counter in the front room, and it seems that at various times
there are staffers assigned thereabouts (which apparently makes the IMC
'staffed' at those times)..?

   I fail to see why the IMC (or any other organization) should be open
to street folk during times at which there is no staffer in the front
room.  Likewise, those using the production room should probably not be
considered staffers, without a doorbell or annunciator (these beep when
someone comes in).  If a community member without a key wants to use the
space, they should simply plan to arrive during a staffer's shift or
make special arrangements.  Then, of course, there's always the call
ahead, or from a pay phone upon arrival.

   The onus of security should not be placed on doors/locks not visible
from the street.  The production room doors, if I recall correctly, are
primarily constructed of window glass and thin wooden struts - easy
pickings for any individual wielding a chair - with the required ruckus
effectively shielded from police/passersby observation or later notice.
This sounds unlikely, true.  Whose life/health are folks willing to
stake this wager with?  I could get through those doors in 30 seconds,
and I'm supposed to be 'disabled', fer chrissake.

   Basically, if the IMC wants production to go on after hours, it needs
to assuage the concerns of its producers by creating a no-compromise
safe environment.  After-hours access by folks without keys should not
be available without front room oversight.

   After hours, no staffer, no appointment, no access.  Anything else is
foolhardy and places personnel at risk with minimal return.  Lone
producers should be allowed to lock the front door, no question about
it.  If this causes a real problem, wireless doorbells are available for
around $20, and I think I saw someone offer one anyway.  Otherwise, I
suggest producers refuse to produce there/then, deadline or no.

   That's about it - sorry if this harshes anyone's groove!  --CMB