Sehvilla is right (was Re: [Imc] twisted locks, twisted security)

Brian Hagy bhagy at urbana.indymedia.org
Wed Feb 13 00:19:22 UTC 2002

ok, there is an important point about the front door being missed.  when
it is locked from the inside (when the latch is turned from the inside),
then no key from the outside can open it.  true having a doorbell might
solve this, so long as the person in the production room doesn't have
headphones on, or doesn't have their attention away from a light.  but
more importantly, when that lock is turned, it loses it's alignment.
There have been a couple times when someone has untaped the lock
and turned it, and the lock becomes unaligned.  When that person leaves,
and locks up from the outside, the unaligned lock stays that way (because
most people don't know how to realign it), and thus the lock continues to
be unlockable from the outside with a key (requiring the landlords, if
they're home, or an angry tennant, if he's home, to let the person in, so
that that person can go all the way through the back way).

yes, the door needs to be fixed.  the door frame, actually, because the
door lock has been replaced a couple times in the past.  fixing the door
frame will be fairly expensive (redoing the concrete and bricks, and the
steel frame itself).  unless someone wants to step up with the money to
cover this, then we will need to wait until the landlords fix the facade
of the building, which is currently slated for this summer.

until then, maybe when people need to work on something other than the
website (which can be worked on then from the security of their own home),
they should make sure that, if they won't feel safe working at night by
themselves, either they plan ahead so that they work there during
hours when people are there, or they call up friends.  Paul Riismandel,
who lives around the corner from the IMC, has graciously offered to be
available to hang out with folks at the IMC if they don't feel comfortable
being there alone, so long as you give him suffiecient notice (i would
recommend a couple days notice....though you'd need to plan ahead, but
that shouldn't be so difficult).  i think it is somewhat appropriate to be
responsible for your own safety (beyond what can be provided by the
space, and true we need and will eventually have a front door that locks
correctly) when you can't utilize the space during the times that some
volunteer has agreed to keep open.

safety is a concern for everyone at the imc, and i hope no one is thinking
we're treating this concern flippantly. whereas, i do agree with clint
that some part of feeling safe is a personal responsibility (a perspective
of things), it is also necessary for the imc to do what is needed to help
maintain a safe environment.  perhaps until we raise the money to replace
the door, find a temporary lock situation, or the landlords fix the facade
of the building, we should reconsider who has keys to the building.  i
liked jay's attempt to question what is entailed in being a member.  does
that automatically mean they can get a key?  if someone is a member and
needs to use imc resources, does that mean they should automatically get a
key?  if a member of a library wants to do some research, does that mean
that person should be able to get a key to the library (ok, sure that's
kinda a stretch, cuz our hours are more limited than the library's, but
we're also a volunteer organization, thus we can't pay people to be here
to work, and have to work within our limitations).  this whole question of
who gets a key needs to be sorted out....does a member, does a media
producer, does a staffer, do community folk who rent the place, etc.

it is important to be as flexible to the community as possible.  it is
also important listen to the concerns of the individuals who utilize the
imc, and balance them with the sustainability of the imc.  else, what good
are we as a community center?  if replacing the door is cost prohibitive
at the moment, then something else needs to thought up.  there have been
some proposals, such as the door bell idea (the problem with that is that
it doesn't solve the problem of a misaligned lock when the person leaves
for the night), locking the production room (which, though it might
technically be the safest room in the space because the deadbolt is much
more secure than a flip lock, it doesn't address the claustrophobic or
psychologic fear), and using the space when others are there (either imc
staffers, or friends that you have arranged to have there).

the steering focus group is trying to listen to all concerns.  it would be
helpful if those with the biggest concerns attempt to come a steering
meeting (sundays at noon).  i realize that may not be possible, however.
there is also wednesday nite (1st and 3rd wednesdays of the month) at 6:30
when the space focus group meets.  this is another place to bring up
things.  email does allow people to bring up concerns, but it sucks as a
format to resolve them, though it is possible (the global imc works this
way).  however, since we're all local, if attending one of the regularly
scheduled meetings is not possible, i would advocate for and with those
who have a strong concern about this matter to propose an alternative time
to get people also interested in this matter to together to come up with some
solution which can be presented to the sunday steering focus group (by
anyone from that meeting).

thanks to all who have responded to this.  i like when people work
together to try to solve things.

brian