[Imc] repeating a door lock solution

Paul Riismandel p-riism at uiuc.edu
Wed Feb 13 17:20:54 UTC 2002

I want suggest again an idea I brought up at steering for the front door.

My understanding is that the front door lock has been "fixed" and that the
real problem is the alignment of the door -- something that's not easy to
fix, and may indeed be beyond the IMC's responsibility.  Given that, I
suggest that we put in a simple extra lock, like a hook and eye, that
allows someone to lock her/himself in, along with a wireless doorbell.

Such a lock is not going to keep out a determined intruder (of course a
determined intruder could just throw a brick through the window), but will
keep out the random drunk stumbling out of the bars who's looking for a
comfy couch to pass out on (that's an experience I've had at WEFT too many
times).  Having such a lock that's inaccessible to the outside means that
people using the IMC after hours are responsible for paying attention to
the doorbell and letting in other IMCistas.  I think that's a reasonable
trade-off.

This is just an interim solution that I think can provide some security in
the absence of something better.

--Paul