[Imc] possible antidrugwar PSAs?

Chas. 'Mark' Bee c-bee1 at uiuc.edu
Wed Feb 13 19:27:01 UTC 2002

Jay Morris wrote:

> IMCistas!
>
> I finally saw Bush’s drug war commercial (if you buy drugs you are
> supporting terrorists), and I feel it is begging for a response
 if not
> just for mockery.
>
> Here's the idea.  I want to put together a series of 10-15 second PSA’s for
> WEFT that could be played together or distributed throughout the day.  Each
> would have a different person’s voice, followed by a voiceover.
>
> Some examples:
>
> <sound of a pop machine dropping a coke can out> "I helped Colombian
> paramilitaries slaughter union leaders".  (voiceover: Where do
> Colombian paramilitaries get their money? If you buy Coke products,
> some of it might come from you.")
>
> <sound of a car starting> "I'm helping oil executives ensure that we
> never have clean air or renewable energy". (voiceover: Where do oil
> industry lobbyists get their money? If you buy gasoline, it comes from
> you.")
>
> <sound of dubya snorting cocaine> "snooort ...  snoooort ... yeehaw! I
> just helped terr'ists fly planes into our 'merican buildin's"
> (voiceover: Where did terrorists get the money to organize and fly
> planes into our buildings? If you were high on cocaine through the
> 80's, some of it might have come from you.")
>
> 1) Can anyone come up with any other ideas for this?
>
> 2) Would anyone like to lend their voice (or their best dubya impersonation)
> to read one of these?
>
> 3) Does anyone know about how to get PSA’s onto the air at WEFT? and whether
> or not they would go for this? and/or who would be willing to play this
> during their shift?
>
> These should be very easy to put together, so if I can get some ideas and
> some voices, I’ll do it ASAP.
>
> Thanks a lot,
> Jay

   What a lovely idea!  I'm *very* interested in getting this going.  I
have a zillion ideas (having obsessed on this for about a week), can get
PSAs that follow minimal rules to WEFT's PSA person (who I jam with),
and would be DELIGHTED to play them during my shift (Thursday nights
10-midnight).  I'll bet if they're catchy enough, I can get others to
play them too!  I also have a home studio of sorts, and a bunch of sound
effects CDs, and I know how to use 'em.

   I might want to replace 'Coke' with 'sodas on campus', but that's
just me.  =)

   Let's get together - once others reply, you decide where and when.