[Imc] IMC (and FRONT DOOR) Improvements Update:

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 17 01:05:25 UTC 2002

While I think that it is admirable that Sascha has taken the initiative
to go ahead with something for the front door, in the absence of an
actual decision to do so by either the Space or Steering groups, I would
like to emphasize that ANY INCIDENT that involves taking the tape off
the inside twist lock (which has been the source of much recent email)
will have me proposing IMMEDIATELY that we return the door to the state
where it was before, with the addition of a WELD to make sure that the
inside lock is PERMANENTLY disabled so that under NO circumstances we
will have a repeat of the previous situation.

This will still come up at the Steering group meeting tomorrow, because
it is unclear to me that everyone has gotten the message, with the
possibility still remaining that lack of personal responsibility will
still cause further problems.

I am very unhappy that a number of people spend a tremendous amount of
time developing and implementing policy, with numerous opportunities for
input from the members, and then we have certain individuals who see fit
to simply ignore this work and the entire decisionmaking process of the
IMC in an attempt to acheive their personal goals.

I have no problems working within a state of ANARCHISM (ie, a group with
minimal, but defined decisionmaking structure), but I will NOT be
involved in a group that tolerates ANARCHY (ie, anyone can just do what
the hell they please and the group be damned.)

If people want to read this as a threat to resign and wash my hands of
things, they are exactly right. I often don't get things my way within
the structure we have developed, yet I have respected those decisions
and worked within the agreed on structure if I have differences about an
issue.

If we all chose to conduct ourselves as if the rest of the group's
agreed-on structure was irrelevant, which is EXACTLY what happened in
this case, there simply is no point in even going through the motions of
pretending that there actually is any structure or concern about what
the consensus of the group might be.

And I want no part of such a sham.
Mike Lehman