[Imc] IMC Switzerland update:

Sascha Meinrath meinrath at students.uiuc.edu
Mon Feb 18 17:11:11 UTC 2002

imc switzerland is temporarily offline.  below is the update:

--sascha

hello

many of you have already heard about the lawsuit against indymedia switzerland,
because some anti-semitic articles/comments and the latuff cartoons haven't
been deleted totaly. indymedia switzerland has a 'censorship waste bin', where
discriminating postings are banned to. this waste bin is transparent, so the
hidden/banned postings are still viewable for everybody. that's the reason for
the lawsuit against at least two supposed indymedia activist (called 'editors'
and 'moderators'). in switzerland exists a anti-racism law to proceed against
racist propaganda. you can find the first indy.ch statement (regarding the
lawsuit) from 6th february at:
https://lists.indymedia.org/mailman/public/imc-europe/2002-February/000669.html

this legal action has been prepared (in a political way) by a group called FEPA
(for a progressive anticapitalism), who flooded indymedia switzerland in
december, because of the same reasons as the lawsuit. it's a group of people
from the leftist scene in switzerland. we know all of them and had a common
political history...

now it has been decided to temporarily close indymedia switzerland respectively
its open publishing part. this is a try to shift the discussions from the
internet into the real/non-virtual world. it's a try to cool down the
situation, which is really hot at the moment. we want to deescalate...

soon will follow a statement and some more information, but it also has to be
clarified with the legal situation...
we received a lot of e-mails from indymedia activists, who asked for writing a
report about what happened. we want to thank you for all your solidarity and
for sure we'll need much more of your support... ;-)
we hope that the statement (and informsations), which will be published in some
days, can help the people and the groups to release their own statements. this
would be a great help for us, but we understand if these groups want to wait
til they got enough informations...
so, maybe you have to wait with your reports and features til the statement has
been published...?

ch.i