[Imc] IMC residency at Allen Hall

Laura Haber comradelaura at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 21 20:53:40 UTC 2002

Thanks to everyone who has volunteered to speak, give workshops, or hang out at
Allen Hall next week. And thank you to Paul R. and Michael F. for putting
together such an impressive lineup of programs. This will be a great
opportunity for you to expose students to the IMC and hopefully get more people
involved. Its also a great way to get some money to the IMC ($1425 to be
exact).

At the moment, I am concerned about getting turnout for your events. You all
are a last minute fill-in for a previously scheduled guest so you don't have
the same exposure in the hall that other guests have had. We normally have a
bulletin board for the guest up the week before they arrive but I'm still
waiting to get stuff for our bulletin board. And, because making a schedule
with so many participants is so much more complicated than our usual
single-speaker schedule, we don't have your schedule for the week up yet
either. We can't just assume that students will show up to programs here - we
have to do lots of advance publicity. So, I'm starting to panic a little bit.

This is a rare chance for the IMC to be visible and accessible to folks on
campus - especially students who might not listen to WEFT or venture into
downtown Urbana. It would be great if you all would take advantage of this
access to the campus community and do some extra publicity to turn people out
to your programs. It is wonderful to have so many of you participating in the
programs. I just hope that you won't be outnumbering the audience or just
hanging out with each other in the guest apartment. So, please, consider doing
some extra outreach/publicity work in Allen hall and across campus (with all of
your extra free time!) to make the most of your visit.

thanks!
-Laura