[Imc] video donation

Ron Szoke r-szoke at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Tue Jan 1 19:17:09 UTC 2002

I am donating to the IMC three VHS videos sent to me by Barbara Trent and
the Empowerment Project of Chapel Hill, NC.  I met Barbara at Mike
Lehmann's house some 3--4 years ago, saw her "Oscar" statue for "The
Panama Deception," and became interested in her work.  The videos and a
file of related printed materials and photographs were sent to me some
time later.  I am now turning all this material over to the IMC with the
suggestion that the videos and file be made available for loan or rental
to those interested.

The videos are:
	"Destination Nicaragua," documentary about the Sandinista-Contra
conflict of the 1970s.
	"Coverup: Behind the Iran Contra Affair" (1988), documentary about
the criminal activities of Oliver North & others in the Reagan years.
	"The Panama Deception" (1992), Academy Award for Best Documentary
Feature, 1992, as mentioned.

I would further suggest that the rental of a variety of nonfiction and
experimental videos could be another source of revenue for the IMC.
There are some practical difficulties in implementing this, of course, & I
would suppose there is no point in opening yet another video rental store
for entertainment videos.  But I think such a project deserves
consideration.

-- Ron Szoke
	r-szoke at uiuc.edu