[Imc] RE: [UCIMC-print]Moments from the last meeting

pfmueth pfmueth at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Mon Jul 22 15:52:14 UTC 2002

>===== Original Message From "Sandra Ahten" <spiritofsandra at hotmail.com> =====
>Paul took minutes from the last meeting. But I haven't seen them posted
>yet...

Apologies here and below

Public i meeting 071802
Attendees:
Sandra Ahten, Paul Mueth, Belden Fields, Josh Michaels, Ben Byrne, Bumi
Focus was on the next paper which will be laid out whilst Darrin is travelling
in Central America.
Further discussion was about the Sept issue, Labor Day and 9-11 aniversary as
factors informing the "theme".

Articles in Hand:
Cuba -Jan Kruse, Community Forum 719
Fuelcells (?)
Potholes-Jason Brown- 727
Labor in Gautemala- Jessica Pupovic 1356
Tech retention -Josh Michaels-1230
Andrew Kennis Israel Invasion two articles 2520- 4016 respectively
No Quiero Taco Bell -Ricky Baldwin 1000
Verdict on Venezuela Will Gillespie 750 Community forum
total 9432 words
Discussion about the size of the issue, 8 or 12 pages genererated this
ballpark estimate:
7 pages @ ~1250 a page = 8750 words
11pages @~1250 a page =13750 words

Consensus was reached to include the following in this issue. (Ben B was going
to contact author of Fuelcells article about reworking it.)
Labor in Gautemala- Jessica Pupovic,
"Technologist retention" in CU by Josh Michaels
Andrew Kennis -World Largest Jail (Gaza) -in a shortened form
 No Quiero Taco Bell Cuba-Ricky Baldwin
 - for community forum, Kruse on Cuba, possibly with photo, Verdict On
Venezuela/Gillespie with reply by John Wason

Paul (your scribe) had  (and has) reservations about the article concerning
the "new economy" development in CU as to its appropriateness for the PI.
Margaret E. Kosal contacted the list about the Union of Concerned Scientists
summer symposium with the following.
"One of the participants & I are interested in writing something for the UC
Public i. Morton Bremer Maerli is a Norwegian nuclear arms control expert" -
follow up on this. . . ?
Some discussion of modalities for editing /soliciting articles for the
September issue which possibly would be centered on erosion of civil liberties
in the aftermath.
(refusing union rights to the Homeland Security dept, which has already been
done for airport security workers is a pertinent topic)
Ricky Baldwin and Peter Miller and other AWAREites have been contacted.

Apologies for tardiness and shortness of notes, please add and clarify if you
would.

PS After rereading Josh's article, I feel more strongly that it's not
particularly appropriate for the paper;
I don't think the discussion concerning his rewrite addressed my reservations,
i.e. it's critical of the technological business climate for being
ineffective, without even mentioning the myriad of other problems.
I think the News-Gazoo would probably publish it, to a broader audience. I
acquiesced in the meeting thinking that it could provoke discussion of the
tech workplace from a progressive point of view. (write those letters) But if
there is something else still in queue for publication, for instance, Kim
Kranich's article, the status of which was unknown at the time of the meeting,
I think we should go with that instead.

PPS The video screening with producers from the Palestine IMC is scheduled at
6PM Thursday.
any suggestions for accomodating those who wish to attend ..