[Imc] tracking

Brian Hagy bhagy at urbana.indymedia.org
Tue Jul 23 21:02:37 UTC 2002

boy, this is opening a huge can of concerns.  To do something like this
without concensus is gonna create some problems.  If you were sys admining
for your stuff, that's one thing.  but to start IP tracking for IMC stuff
without IMC input is not ok.  many of the people who post to the IMC
newswire expect that this (IP logging) is not occuring.  to do so without
notice is off-kilter for what the imc is about.

don't get me wrong, i understand the importance of keeping the server
secured.  but to change the state of the IMC website, without at least
engaging in a dialogue first with, well, anyone (at minimum tech, at
maximum, the imc general list) is dangerous.  of course, i know you well
enough to know you don't intend anything malicious or "conspiratorial" by
your actions.  however, do realize your actions are part of a community
(which i trust you already are aware) who desire concerns to be addressed
before an action happens, rather than after.

i await the report on sunday (or any discussion in between).

brian