[Imc] bookmobile donation request

mediageek listgeek at mediageek.org
Wed Jul 24 05:02:03 UTC 2002

Long story short: the bookmobile when it was here got ticketed for
obstructing the street with merchandise.  Danielle and I tried to
negotiate with the ranking officer on duty to have the ticket disposed
of that evening to no avail (though we were promised the 'mobile would
be left alone on the next day, and it was).  Mike L., Jacqueline W. and
I brought the situation to City Council.  I then spoke with the City
Legal office to try and get it disposed of, also to no success.

Since the bookmobile was our guest, I promised we would pay the ticket
if we were unsuccessful in having it dismissed, and today I did.  The
total was $75 and I am asking for donations to help pay it.  Anything
you can give will help.  I'll be staffing at the IMC Wed night from 6 -
9 PM if you want to give it to me in person, otherwise e-mail me and
we'll figure something out.

In anticipation of questions:
We cannot challenge it in court, because the ticket was written to a
bookmobile volunteer and only she can challenge it.  She is on tour
until October, primarily in Canada and the West.  Asking her to come
back and challenge it is asking quite a bit for a $75 fine.

Thanks,

Paul