[Imc] Library Meeting Minutes

knutson ellen marlene eknutson at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Wed Jul 24 04:29:19 UTC 2002

Library Meeting Tuesday, July 23 8PM

In attendance: James, Anita, Ellen, Rose, Jordan, Robert

Because of the number of new people we began by having a library focused
tour of the IMC, and then ran through introductions and why we are at the
library meeting.

We talked a bit about the database and what we would like to see added to
it in terms of access point. While we didn't come to an explicit decision
it seems that we would like key word searching and perhaps more subject
descriptors. Most wanted to be more familiar with what is already there
before making too many comments. The library catalog is at
www.ucimc.org/library

We talked about how to let people know about the library and Anita
volunteered to make some targeted flyers that we could leave different
place around campus.. She will bring some ideas to our next meeting in two
weeks.

Then we talked some about the general tasks that need to be done outside
of meetings: processing books, zines, magazines, etc. We will have a
training on how to do this next Tuesday, July 30th at 8pm.

We ended the meeting with a brief discussion about how many back issues we
want to keep of the magazines. There was general agreement that if there
is access to the magazines in other libraries around time maybe we
didn't have to keep long runs, but if we held the only issues maybe we
should keep long runs. Jordan will research what of our subscriptions are
help in area libraries.

Ellen made an announcement that she will be meeting on Friday with Ann
Bishop  (professor of Library and Info Science) about using the IMC as a
project site for a course she is teaching in the fall on Social Justice.

Respectfully Submitted by
Ellen
your friendly radical librarian