[Imc] Draft of text for <http://www.ucimc.org/mediation.html> (fwd)

Paul Kotheimer herringb at prairienet.org
Fri Jul 26 05:10:02 UTC 2002

hi folkses

by request, here's an e-mail copy of the draft i passed out to
steering group two sundays ago.

just for some context, it's proposed that this text (subject to revisions
submitted by all and any) become a web-page linked to the www.ucimc.org
site, and that it be in place to hook IMC participants up with conflict
resolution resources for conflicts they might encounter inside the IMC.

my understanding is that this text is on the agenda for participant
comment and improvements at the next two steering meetings.  i hope that
info is legit.

and i hope my ideas help...

paulkotheimer:)

WHO CAN HELP ME THROUGH A CONFLICT I'M HAVING INSIDE THE IMC?

Since all IMC working and steering meetings are open to the public, any
willing IMC participant or community ally can act as a mediator or
advocate.  A "MEDIATOR" is someone who meets with PERSONS-IN-CONFLICT with
the goal of turning complaints and concerns into proposals and ultimately
CHANGES in the IMC.  An "ADVOCATE" is someone who attends meetings as your
proxy, voicing concerns and proposals on your behalf.

The IMC has a number of dedicated MEDIATION volunteers who can be of
assistance to you in times of conflict.  If you want the assistance of one
of our mediation volunteers, you can contact one specifically by phone or
e-mail.  Feel free, also, to e-mail them ALL at the address
<mediation at ucimc.org.>

Here are the names and contact preferences of our (more-or-less) fearless
MEDIATION VOLUNTEERS!!

PAUL KOTHEIMER		herringb at prairienet.org		384-0299
best to e-mail me with a description of the conflict at hand

and when's the best time for us to talk in person.

CONF LICTRESOLUTION	mediator at conflict.imc		123-4567
call me on my cel-phone.  early evenings are my best time to meet.

ETCETERA			etcetera at etcetera.etc		012-3456
i don't check e-mail every day, but i'll get back to you within two
working days.

PLACE HOLDER		placeholder at thislist.list		222-2222
i assume you get the idea.

WHAT WILL A MEDIATION VOLUNTEER DO FOR ME?

Once you've made contact with an IMC MEDIATOR, that MEDIATOR will probably
ask you to get together in person to talk about the conflict.  IMC
MEDIATORS have made a committment to asking QUESTIONS rather than giving
advice or quoting policy.  MEDIATORS generally view conflict as a way to
help the IMC learn and grow.  MEDIATORS view persons-in-conflict as
CONSULTANTS to the IMC, that is, as allies with a valuable perspective on
how the IMC impacts the community-at-large.  As a consultant, then, you'll
be asked to describe a few things: how whatever conflict you're observing
started, what you think the problem is, what changes you envision in the
IMC--or about a particular working group--in order to address the
conflict, what you think this conflict says about the current state of the
IMC and the local activist community at large, etc.

It might be the case that one or more potential mediators will "RECUSE"
themselves from the role of mediator.  This just means that they don't
want to get involved as a mediator because they see themselves as already
involved, either as an actor or as a person-too-close-to-the-problem.
Please don't take it personally if a mediator feels the need to recuse
herself.  MEDIATORS are acting in what they see as YOUR best interest when
they do so.

WHAT HAPPENS AFTER I MEET WITH A MEDIATOR?

Usually, the goal is to get your conflict onto the agenda at the
pertaining meeting, either as an item for discussion or as a proposal.
There are LOTS of completely valid reasons why a person with a conflict
might not be able to bring a conflict to the meeting without assistance.
It's the nature of CONFLICT to be emotional, painful, confusing,
intimidating, exasperating.  That's why we propose the idea of the
ADVOCATE.  As mentioned above, the ADVOCATE "sits in" at meetings on
behalf of a persons-in-conflict, speaking from the point of view of the
person (or group of people) with the conflict, hoping to facilitate a
CONSENSUS which might resolve the conflict.

How you and your MEDIATOR and/or ADVOCATE interact as a team to get your
concerns voiced is entirely up to you.  It might be useful to have an
advocate who has experience at IMC meetings or in CONSENSUS
decision-making.

Your MEDIATOR might volunteer to serve as a GUEST FACILITATOR for the
agenda item which pertains to your conflict.  This can be useful when all
in attendance at a particular meeting seem to be
people-too-close-to-the-problem.  It's best to get a consensus on a guest
facilitator one meeting in advance, although it can sometimes be done at
the meeting in question.

Your agenda item might be assigned to a CAUCUS.  A caucus is similar to a
sub-committee:  A portion of the working group who have special experience
or interest in the conflict-at-hand volunteer to meet seperately in order
to brainstorm, problem-solve, and draft proposals.  These proposals get
presented to the larger decision-making group for consideration
and--hopefully, eventually...--CONSENSUS.

HOW CAN I VOLUNTEER TO BE AN IMC MEDIATOR?
HOW CAN I HELP DESIGN EVEN BETTER CONFLICT RESOLUTION SYSTEMS AT THE
URBANA IMC?

With any questions, suggestions, or to volunteer, contact
<mediation at ucimc.org>.